Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Too many harmony parts

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Thanks, lots of great advice. I made some changes yesterday, still need to do lots of tweaking. But the one thing i noticed is when I remove some of the excessive harmonies on parts things start to feel more focused or "intimate" if that makes sense. I appreciate the help and great ideas.

Thanks
    Excessive harmonies can merge together and produce the bedrock of the song. Think Carpenters here - where there could easily be 20 vocal tracks all working brilliantly, or you could have a really nice song with just one or two, only in the chorus. The song and the singer are the critical things. No rules.

Thanks
    I would say too much if its true harmonies. That can get old. Now doubling on the other hand, if not terribly obvious, and for the right type of song can be done beginning to end. In the mix this can be just to thicken the vox, smooth out rough spots, or for effect.

Northern Eastern Illinois near Wisconsin Border
    Thanks
    My music is soundscapes and ambient.I usually start out with very little and as the tracks progress on, i add more harmonies. That way the song is building with more bells and whistles.The voice to my songs is not MY voice,the voice is my Naflute( native American Flute).Also some times less is better.

Thanks
    That's nice. Maybe try lowering the levels on the the backing vocals and add some sort of spacial effect on them. Will give the voices a more breathy sound. Experiment, so many options. Good work

Thanks
    Sometimes the leading voice NEEDS to be two voices (or more!)but not in a traditional Harmony like you'd find in the chorus after the verse or a refrain after the chorus. It's here that the subtlety of the mix can bring a special harmonic content to the leading voice in a way that gives it power and an identifiable timbre. MOST pop vocals are more than one voice and not just doubles or more. The harmonic content of the pitch of the song is brought out in a way that makes it the hook sound of the voice itself. You know instantly who is singing.

Never be afraid to record everything that comes to mind when composing your music. Also. NEVER be afraid to red pencil everything that just doesn't cut it at the mix. I produce and as such I usually am adding something instrumentally to things but I also have ZERO problem taking out mine or any tracks that in the end do not serve the song.

Like my mentor says....It's never wrong to do the work. It's never a waste of time to hunt for the right moment for the song.
    Chord with this, Teddy......

Thanks
    I think that depends on the particular song.
    Also, automation is your friend.
    For example, in the verses maybe the main vocals dryer that in the choruses, harmonies lower and panned close to center an in the choruses panned far right and left, more delay and reberb, etc.

Thread Information