Time to listen?????

I've noticed and have told friends that if they are going to be mixing, or running sound to NOT drive to where your going with the window down. It has an unbelievable affect on your ears.
The swish sound of the air flow can be as bad as listening to your car radio on 11 on that whole drive.

Bob Katz said something similar about traveling to a mastering gig. If you drive or fly a long way, allow time for a full night's sleep when you get there before doing the job.

running sound to NOT drive to where your going with the window down.

Bob Katz said something similar about traveling to a mastering gig. If you drive or fly a long way.
And there's the difference between Bob Katz and the rest of us.

Moresound's talking about driving to a sound gig.

Katz is talking about flying to a mastering gig.

:eek:

And there's the difference between Bob Katz and the rest of us.

Moresound's talking about driving to a sound gig.

Katz is talking about flying to a mastering gig.

:eek:

Yeah, I know relating two instances of people traveling to do audio work is a horrible analogy...

I get crazed all the time just sitting in my home studio hearing the same tune over and OVEr and Over again. you just have to trust that it will sound good. As far as in the morning or night time i would say morning because usually by 12 or 1 my ears are blown out i cant even hear myself think!

I get crazed all the time just sitting in my home studio hearing the same tune over and OVEr and Over again. you just have to trust that it will sound good. As far as in the morning or night time i would say morning because usually by 12 or 1 my ears are blown out i cant even hear myself think!
Try real low level?
You can get a lot of basic stuff sorted out jsut fine there. Plus it's a valid alt to things you get from the normal perspective.

I get it though. Specially when there's a lot of square wave' goin on

If I'm working on something long enough, I can litterally go from thinking the drums are WAYYY too loud, to WAYYY too low within a few bars. I can focus on the bass and say "How can you not hear that. It's in your face". By the next verse, I'm doubting myself totally.

This is not always being crazy, sometimes the levels really are fluctuating that much. One advantage of a computer, you can look at the wave form and see if the bass level really did suddenly drop 8db at bar 33. It happens....

I could not have gotten my mixes even half way right without reviewing on computer AND home stereo AND car stereo and taking notes, tweaking, etc., then rinse and repeat. Never trust ONLY your studio monitors and room to tell you if the mix is workable in the real world. I used to think if it's right on the studio monitors then it must be good everywhere, and that was way off base.

This is not always being crazy, sometimes the levels really are fluctuating that much. One advantage of a computer, you can look at the wave form and see if the bass level really did suddenly drop 8db at bar 33. It happens....

True. That could happen and does happen. But, I think the problem is my perception, not volume fluctuations, 99% of the time.

And your perceptions of the mix are predicated upon the mix. Your ears and your doors of perception work at least as well as anyone's Rami, probably better, so if you think you are perceiving a problem with levels, it is likely something about your mix is actually masking those levels and causing you to question your mix or your ears....... kick and bass fighting for a downbeat, guitar chords stepping on harmony vox, etc....

I personally think mixing is much more difficult and artful than mere recording and tracking.

Back