Testing/buying monitors tomorrow! Adam a7x vs p11a

freakkguitarist

hey guys! im going to check out these two monitors tomorrow and would like some of YOUR opinions to toss around in my head before i listen to them.... i mainly mix and record rock, death metal, punk and mostly other aggressive forms of those genres, almost no electronic or very soft music but alot of low tuned guitar music. i have been using krk rp8s for almost 8 years now and its time for an upgrade. the thing i dont like about the rp8s is the wooliness in the low mid area. i feel like alot of transients get muddled together. my control room is a 25x16' fully bass trapped, all first reflection points are covered and i have a cloud above my mix position....id say my room sounds damn good :) (finally!) im able to get either the p11as or the a7xs for very cheap (and about the same price since the p11a is discontinued) i like the idea that the a7xs are the replacement for the A/p series and that they go a little lower then the original a7s (which is why i never bought those) also im very concerned about port noise that seems to plague these A series adam monitors. i DO have a krk sub that i click on once and awhile to check my sub region....so extreme sub extension isnt an issue for me. what are some of the (if any) downfalls i should be aware of with the p11a? i feel like the stopped making them for a reason...could it be the ax series are just that much better?

Don't hold back...go for the A8X...you'll be even happier. Sounds like you would prefer more low end.

I've read that the 8s are actually slightly less clear in the low mid region? And aren't they 8.5" woofers? I'm afraid of that being big for my CR.... If not.... Better bass response for me is a very good thing... Although remember I do have that Krk 10" sub. Also I'll have to special order the a8xs since noone around me has them :(

Back