Tape Slowing Effect

DogmaticVox

Meh...
Hey guys, here's my question:

I'm want to add a tape slowing effect where the pitch smoothly transitions downward. With all my recording digital, I can't just put my hand on the R2R and slow it down myself. I thought about copying the track and shifting the pitch down some octaves then crossfading, but that still doesn't give me that smooth transition downwards through the octaves.

So how do you recommend I go about doing it?

there's a couple ways, it helps to know what DAW you're using. You can globally automate the pitch and tempo so that it slows down like a tape, or you can get an effect, I believe Native-Instrument's Tracktor's 12 has a stretch thing that sounds just like a record cut off or a tape slowed down.

Hope this helps,
Tyler

Sorry, I'm using SONAR. I know how to automate the track for volume, pan, etc. but I don't think I can do that with pitch. It may also help to know that I'm working with recorded audio, not MIDI.

Figured it out. Here's how to do it in Sonar:

Create the clip you want effected. Right-Click on clip and Insert Effect. Inserted my pitch shift plug-in. Then Right-Click on the clip and select clip envelope and now along with gain and pan I have the option to select my newly inserted plug-in and what parameter I want to modify using the envelope. Yeah!

Rami, thanks for the link. That's looks really cool. I'm definitely going to try that out and see what cool stuff I can get out of it - downloading now.

Logic 9 has it built in. It's as easy as doing a fade on an audio region.

Been hearing it everywhere in pop music lately.

I suppose recording to tape and slowing it down never crossed your mind did it?:rolleyes:

I tried recording with computers, but I couldn't read the screen while they were spinning around like that!!!:D

Back