Tape Deck...?

Yo to the Great Sainitti:

I haven't gotten into VCR mix-downs but, if the VCR is good quality, hi-fi, I've read that it can work fine.

However, in my studio, I use A dual-deck Sony cassette, ES quality line. I like to make cassettes for friends and golf benefits which are used as "prizes." The Sony ES deck is great. I have two Sony decks; the other is a three head single deck and with my rig I can run one into the other, either way. Don't forget to get a cleaning tape for the deck and clean the heads often.

Avoid the Tascam dual deck. I have one in the basement because it was so noisy. Every time I'd push a button, that noise would go on the tape being recorded.

Best deal is to listen to one before you buy. Sony ES is a bit harder to find in a regular store but the effort to find any deck and listen to it playing YOUR tapes will help your ears decide what's best for you.

Happy shopping during December

Green Hornet

The only cassette deck I own is a dual-well Denon DN-770RM. But what I mixdown to is a Fostex Model 20 1/4" reel-to-reel deck (it runs at 15ips, has a track for SMPTE and uses dbx NR). I love it, but plan to buy a 1/2", 30ips, with Dolby SR NR open reel some time in the longer future.

Back