suggestions on mixing bass drum and bass guitar??

enemyofthesun

Ideas and tips on seperating the bass drum and bass guitar sound?

The obvious woulbd be to take most of the lows out of the bass drum but I am having a hard time making both sound good.

It really depends on the song etc but I find you can use the click on the kick to give attack to the bass. If you put click in both it's too much but allowing the bass to be the bottom and the kick to be the top works for me.
cheers
john

You may want to try a 10ms delay on the kick drum. That will give you some separation but it won't be noticeable. DON'T delay the bass guitar, it'll make it sound like it's dragging behind. But a 10ms delay on the kick drum really isn't noticeable, and adds some separation. Good luck!

tried eqing each differently
ie dont boost and/or cut same freq
try to give each its own little bit of sonic space
some compression tweaks should help as well

Also eq out any "note" that may be present in the kick so it's just a thud. Then the bass notes will stand out but be nicely reinforced with the kick.

click

I think the click John is referring to is a higher frequency (1000Hz?) which is mixed in to give it the initial strike of the drum / pluck of a bass...

Read it somewhere here but can't recall exactly where...

zip

As said by others, EQ is a main factor here.

You can boost one and cut the other. You decide after hearing them and seeing which one NEEDS a boost to start with.

Sometimes I like to emphasize the lows on kick, cut the low mids and boost the "click" which is the beater of the kick drum. For more attack boost around 5kHz. While on the bass I will Emphasize low-mids (and cutting the opposite if needed).

Another solution is to slightly!!! pan them apart from the center. Not more then a drop to each. A bit moreh then a drop and you will have a lopsided mix.
Kick a bit left - bass a bit right.

Compression - will help your bass (or kick) sit tightly and bring it out to help give it more impact.

Two things - subtle eq and setting the attack and release times on a compressor just right...I like to give the kick the lows, 40 or so and let the bass take over just above that. The exact frequencies depend on the style, sounds and most importantly the key of the song. I like to bring out some fundimental on the bass with an eq nudge. Sometimes it can sound good with lots of lows (30-50) shelved out of the bass. Then I will usually cut a little 300-500 out of both to avoid muddiness and find a nice mid spot for the bass to occupy to give it some presence.
Lastly I will try to find a "point" for the kick. This can sit anywhere from 2.5 to 10k. The idea is to almost meld the two sounds. The kick has the way bottom the bass takes over for the fundimentals and then the kick "clicks" on top. It's like bringing out the best elements of the two sounds to form one cohesive one.
Then the fun starts. I like to set a mid-fast attack and longer release on the kick to let the beater come through and then tuck in a little of the ring of the drum. Once that is set, the bass attack can be set so as to let it take over just as the kick comp closes down.
It is hard for me to verbalize but when you get it set right you can feel the two voices joining at the hip and the groove gets deeper..

Back