Subtractive EQ.....masking problems?

Lee123

Most of my songs have two guitars that are overdriven. Usually panned to a certain degree to each speaker. I have tried to use a little subtractive EQ'ing to give the guitars a little more clarity and space. I applied a boost/cut at around the 5 and 7k mark on both guitars....it now sounds like I have two guitars rather than one, but I'm sure they could sound better still. What approach do you guys take when trying to make two guitar tracks sound like two guitars rather than one?.....thanks for any help......
Lee.

I usually don't do much EQ to my guitars. It's also usually two different people playing.. I guess that would make a difference. Heh.

Lee123 said:
Most of my songs have two guitars that are overdriven. Usually panned to a certain degree to each speaker. I have tried to use a little subtractive EQ'ing to give the guitars a little more clarity and space. I applied a boost/cut at around the 5 and 7k mark on both guitars....it now sounds like I have two guitars rather than one, but I'm sure they could sound better still. What approach do you guys take when trying to make two guitar tracks sound like two guitars rather than one?.....thanks for any help......
Lee.

For me, out of overdrive and distortion I choose distortion. Mostly, I do not like clean guitars either.

Besides panning, I think it has a lot to do with gain. The guitar playing the chords just a little less loud than the guitar playing the melodies. And, try distortion instead of overdrive effects.

Lee123 said:
I have tried to use a little subtractive EQ'ing to give the guitars a little more clarity and space.

...concerning the melody-playing guitar, a little reverb will do sometimes....

Add to the defining frequencies of the guitars. I like around 600-800Hz although thats probably a little high. But that usually makes the guitars feel a little more dynamic and helps with the definition.

Danny

Two different amps will do more than just different eq's settings.

If you use the same amp and guitar with the same mic but doubled your still going to get some phase issues when your double is dead on. If you only own one amp you can change the amp eq and add a distortion box to tweak the characteristics. Also try tripling the guitar parts with some acoustic guitar.

Experiment with switching things up and using different mic positions.

SoMm

Also try using different pickups.

If you only have one amp and one guitar, use the neck pickup for one take and the bridge pickup for take two.

Back