Studio One vs Other DAWs...initial thoughts from my first few days

I've had a few "666" errors - where the master out displays those numbers and turns red. Usually some plugin causes that problem. I'll laod the last save, turn off all the plugins, reengage one by one, and see what causes the issue again. If there is a report that saves that step for you, I was unaware.

I knew it wouldn't be long until you were teaching me. :)

I feel like I'm pretty decent at troubleshooting my own workflow stuff. I was able to get just about all of my question answered through documentation, youtube, and Groove 3 without spending any additional cash on tutorials. And I think that says a LOT about the user friendliness of the program. The forums are really helpful. Every question you don't have a bother a colleague with by phone is another question you can ask them later when you need help with something more important :)

So first impressions on studio one remain pretty good. After the first several days of playing with it in little bits of free time I'm still finding it to be stable, organized, and easy to use.

Some quick notes: The layout is very logic like, but the folder and file system with searchable plugins acts more like Reaper and Nuendo which I think is a good thing. Being able to favorite and create folders is a feature I feel is badly lacking in Pro Tools. Two non-negotiable must have's for me are the 1176 and LA2A emulators, and I like both of the better than the stock Logic ones. The BF blackface in Pro Tools is horrible.

The first thing I did when I installed Studio One Pro 4 was find the key commands and load the Pro Tools mappings which are conveniently included in the software. I still had to modify a number of key commands to get it to match Pro Tools closer.

Studio One's workflow editing and navigation commands are not as deep as those in Pro Tools HD. The tools are simplified for ease of use. I'm ok with this, and I was well aware of it ahead of time. So I didn't waste too much effort trying to get Studio One to operate on the same level in that regard.

I can't find any references to S1 having a node based design Midi design GUI like Logics environment, or Max for Live. I'm also not going to bother trying to get S1 to perform any film or video related functions. I'm looking forward to checking out some of the arranging tools, but I'm not expecting much from the score editor here.

I did get some of the VI's up and running. It took me a minute to figure out the drag-and-drop to instantiate stuff. But I kind of like it. Reminded me of Reason in some ways. Over the next few days I'll be messing around with VI's and midi recording, and seeing how the vocal/guitar take comping works. Another of the big questions I have is how it will compare to Logics audio editor engines. In other words....how capable is this DAW when you isolate a clip within a track, in terms of tuning, warping, time stretching, processing that isolated clip.

Still don't know why everyone hasn't ditched Pro Tools and migrated to Studio ONE. It's simply better , easier, cheaper and by the way from my home state of Louisiana. I buy local when i can.

Gave Studio one a try and I admit defeat. I'm so into Samplitude, I just can't find my way around a different DAW. Looks great, but ....

Still don't know why everyone hasn't ditched Pro Tools and migrated to Studio ONE. It's simply better , easier, cheaper ....

The answer is because of what Pro Tools does that S1 can not.

If you're genuinely curious, I touched on some of this in the "What is the best daw for recording" thread, but I'll save you the trouble of having to go back and weed through the pages of posts on this thread. While both are a great option for music recording, there are several key areas where Pro Tools addresses the needs of large studios in ways that S1 can not. These only apply to big studios though. I stand behind the belief that S1 is a very capable professional tool for music recording.

- Pro tools can be placed on a multi-machine network and stream data from an Avid proprietary centralized file repository within a facility. S1 can't.
- Pro tools has high end hardware consoles that are designed for large scale post production work. They enable operators to access essential workflow features from a control surface on a deeper level than anything currently integrated in S1.
- PT has extensive workflow editing capabilities that S1 does not.
- Pro tools can be placed on a multi-machine synchronization system as its sync and clocking options are more advanced than S1's. The flagship Avid i/o hardware and peripherals have the ability to communicate with broadcast and cinematic specific video formats that are not compatible with S1.
- My understanding is that a Presonus console/interface system can not be scaled beyond 128 inputs because they have no way of accessing sufficient throughput. This an instant deal killer for large studios.
- Presonus does not have cloud storage network in place
- Studio one is not surround sound, Atmos, or ambisonics enabled. You can jerry-rig a surround bus by creating six stereo busses, but you will not be able to use your surround verbs, object panners, fold matrix, or monitor management tools. S1 has a 2 bus and that's it. You need a proper surround bus to do anything other than consumer music mixes.
- Neither S1 or any Presonus hardware has machine redundancy or emergency power fail-safes.

...there's more, but that's a basic overview of main reasons S1 is not used in any major studios.

Last edited:
The answer is because of what Pro Tools does that S1 can not.

If you're genuinely curious, I touched on some of this in the "What is the best daw for recording" thread, but I'll save you the trouble of having to go back and weed through the pages of posts on this thread. While both are a great option for music recording, there are several key areas where Pro Tools addresses the needs of large studios in ways that S1 can not.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. It's all well and good if you have a superb DAW, but if you can't interact with other studios in the ways you describe, it is not good enough.

Back