Studio Monitor question

Giganova

gimmi your mic!
hi there --

I am shopping for studio monitors (<$500). Since I have a rather small studio and the monitors would be sitting right next to my walls, about 1.5-2 meters away from me (less than 6 feet), I guess I needed "near-field monitors", right? My questions is: I have a power amp with 500Watt output per channel and 4 speaker outputs in total, which I'd like to keep coz it also drives my 15" club speakers. Can I hook up studio monitors to that amp (given that I won't crank them up)? Does it matter if they are passive or active?

If that's the case, are there any recommendations which near-field passive monitors would give me good results for electrinic music ()kinda like "Drum n Bass")? Should I add a subwoofer?

You should be able to use your amp, just watch the output. As far as recommendations, I make my own so I won't try to suggest any, the best would be to go and listen to them if you can, also if a monitor is good for only one type of music then it's not a good monitor! it should be good for all types of music!

Best case: The monitor burns up.
Worst case: They don't burn up but play really loudly, and you get permanent ear damage.
Super worst case: You get permanent ear damage, THEN the monitors burn up.

Digidude824 said:
try to get your hands on a pair of behringer truth's, they're active and sound really nice..........to me. : )

Sorry, I'd have to disagree ;) I've got Behringer Truths, which I'm about to change due to repeated technical faults.

Also, you dont want speakers that sound nice, you want speakers that sound true. Behringer "Truths" simply dont. The bass is huge for a start, even with the optional -6dB of attenuation. Also, the top end tends to sound splashy. Various projects I've done with these speakers have sounded brilliant in the studio and absolutely crap on home systems. Thats not waht you want.

I know the price is good but I honestly dont believe these speakers are worth it.

I know I know I know ... I was just wondering coz there are much more active monitors on the market compared to passive, some of which are even cheaper.

OK, I got it: I need near-field passive montitors. Any recommendations foo small ones? (I don't have much space)

well for the price they are cool, also the M1's are in that same price range and do very well. I myself use HR-824's and NS-10's. As for the "technical faults".........well ......thats behringer for ya.

I am not tempted to get Behringers anyway. Have heard too much about their (lacking) quality.

The HR-824's and NS-10 are active monitors, right? Guess I can't use them :mad:

Do you think the Tannoy Reveal are any good?

Last edited:
NS-10's are not active. reveals are good monitors too. I have a few friends that use them plus I have seen them in local TV news stations

Giganova said:
I know I know I know ... I was just wondering coz there are much more active monitors on the market compared to passive, some of which are even cheaper.

And usually better too.

OK, I got it: I need near-field passive montitors.

Not necessarily. In an idea worlds, you would listen to the combination of your amp + the passive speakers and conmpare that to some active speakers.

Yes, I know that probably isn't feasible... :(

Any recommendations foo small ones? (I don't have much space)

Tannoy Reveals? The actives are very good at least.

For $400 or $500 you should definitely take a look at either the B&W DM601 S3 or DM602 S3. http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.ranges/label/Range 600 Series 3

B&W designs all of their speakers to be as accurate as possible within the limitations of their price targets. And they do an outstanding job of it. These models are primarily marketed for hi-fi, but they would make very nice monitors in your price range - far better than most any of the budget studio monitors.

Thomas

http://barefootsound.com

Back