Striping and spiking prerecorded tracks so the master can master!

psongman

Hi, I think I have an mastering guru who will assist me in my first CD. He wants to dump the tracks into Samplitude 7 and work from there. Now, can I stripe the tracks so they can be lined up when they are routed to Samp? Please help me with a tried and true method, so this can be accomplished. I realize this might be easier if it is done at the time of tracking so will do this procedure from now on. But, I want to do this correctly, so any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated. Will await your expertise, Psongman

psongman said:
Hi, I think I have an mastering guru who will assist me in my first CD. He wants to dump the tracks into Samplitude 7 and work from there. Now, can I stripe the tracks so they can be lined up when they are routed to Samp? Please help me with a tried and true method, so this can be accomplished. I realize this might be easier if it is done at the time of tracking so will do this procedure from now on. But, I want to do this correctly, so any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated. Will await your expertise, Psongman
Mastering is done on the final stereo mix. There is no track alignment involved. I presume you mean he is planning to mix if for you?

Yes, I understand that is mixing before mastering. What I was inquiring about was an easy way to spike a track so it could be sent out and aligned afterwards, then mixed, and mastered. Psongman

Well....What were the tracks recorded on? The process will be entirely different for something recorded on an analog real-to-real compared to something recorded on a Roland 2480 digital recorder for example. Since you are talking about "striping", I assume you are analog here?

Export the individual tracks as one continuous file from start to finish for each track. Usually there is some type of 'Fill Silence' option or you can manually past silence in between the edits. If all the files are the exact same length then syncing is not a problem. You can also use the Broadcast Wave file format (.BWV) to include a SMPTE time stamp.

I usually do both if I have to export a project.

TexRoadkill said:
Export the individual tracks as one continuous file from start to finish for each track. Usually there is some type of 'Fill Silence' option or you can manually past silence in between the edits. If all the files are the exact same length then syncing is not a problem. You can also use the Broadcast Wave file format (.BWV) to include a SMPTE time stamp.

I usually do both if I have to export a project.

Tex is right on (except I think that he meant .BWF not .BWV).

I've also tried using a 1 sample click at the same spot for each track and lined these up, but it's a pain in the donk.

Hey Tex, what DAW are you using that generates BWF?

Hi, thanks for the inputs. I want to try the click thingie, but what I am trying to surmise, is how do you go back in on a digital 8 track and make a click after the fact. Someone must have had to do this in this group. What I am attempting is to begin each one early on with one, of course...but how do you go back in and fiddle with the already recorded ones. Do you go back to the first early seconds of silence and hit a snare from a drum machine and then copy and paste that to the remaining tracks? I am positive this has been accomplished by some mix master here. Please keep up the counseling, I definitely need it, haha, Psongman

I would have done a rough mix and exported the EDL so Samplitude could read in the file and pop everything into is correct spot.

Let the ME deal with heads and tails after the mix is done.

SoMm

I would have put the click in when I was recording and copied and pasted it to each track I was using to record on, but I didn't. Again, what I am asking is how do you go back on insert a click on a track then send that click to the other tracks, so when they are sent out to the computer the clicks can be lined up and then mixed, and then mastered. Psongman

1>click>Muzak

2>copy and paste 1>click>Musak

Back