'stereo' vs 'mono'

togapalmer

i'm confused.

i don't understand how a CD can have a stereo track. this may sound like a stupid question...but i don't get it.

in order for there to be a true 'stereo' track, the left speaker has to get a different signal than the right speaker, right? so, does that mean there are essentially 2 tracks on a CD that has stereo vs a mono signal?

i'm asking this in reference to my work with my band's material on pro tools. i can bounce tracks to a disk in mono, or as stereo tracks...a left and right. but the bounced product of a 'stereo' bounce is 2 separate tracks.

how could i produce a bounced track that is "stereo" but only 1 track.

i think i'm missing a fundamental detail here. if anyone can help me understand, i would highly appreciate it!

thanks

TuoKaerf said:
You need to bounce it as a Stereo Interleaved file.

is this a feature in most software programs, like pro tools and cakewalk? i have a friend who claims that cakewalk just bounced his tracks as the stereo file as...maybe what you mentioned, a stereo interleaved file. i'm quite sure i have not seen that feature in pro tools. maybe i'm just missing it.

yeah, thanks ya'll.

i found exactly what you were talking about, and it worked exactly how i wanted it to work. i had to bounce as a stereo track, and then select the interleved option.

i was thinking it was more complicated than that.

thanks!

Back