Stereo input channels...?

A Drummer

Hello there

I need some clarification on what the difference is between mono input channels (typically XLR's and 1/4" inputs on a mixing board) and stereo input channels (typically only 1/4" inputs).

I'm debating what kind of mixing board I want to buy. Right now I have a crappy 8 channel mixer, with all 8 channels mono (8 XLR's). Now I've seen the newer mixers with the stereo input channels. For one fader on the mixer it says that two channels are used, for example, 9-10. How would these stereo input channels apply to me as a drummer? Should I just be looking for a board that has enough XLR's for my needs? I'll be looking to use about 6 or 7 mics for my kit.

I know that the stereo input channels have a purpose related to recording in stereo (obviously) - I just need to know how it will relate to me and my needs.

If it would take to long to explain all of this, could someon direct me to a place on the web that can explain this really well?

A stereo channel is simply two mono-channels which are linked so that you cannot set the volume or the filters or the aux-sends independantly.
Usually they only have line-level inputs, so you can't put microphones into them. They are ment to handle stereo sources like keyboards and tape inputs and such.

Back