Spoken word/theatre

Kasey

So im going to start running the sound for my high school theatre (yea im a young'n) typically how should spoken word be EQ'd? Anything else i should know for theatre sound? for the EQ i'm guessing rolling off the bottom end below 250, boosting around 1k, and rolling off the highs above 10k.... but yea im just starting so i havent had much practice with it yet.

leave the highs alone. maybe bump up around 1K, but I'd say that's about it. 250 might be a little too high...you might put it down more around 100-150. that's just my opinion.

each voice is different. especially between females and males. girls may need more mid accented while males need more low end. the 1kHz area just gives a little clarity in the voice. You may need to cut the mids of any music or anything that may play along with it. I find this helps the spoken voice fit better (I do post work...not live audio work though)

Also....BEWARE OF FEEDBACK. A live engineer's worse enemey.

Besides the low-cut, it will depend on the PA, mics, and room too much to say anything for sure. Go in and listen, that's what will tell you. You need to start pretty much from scratch every day, and make adjustments as you go.

As far as eq for voices if you do it right you shouldn't need much eq. Grab some bobby pins and try running the mics up the back of their neck, through their hair with the actual mic hanging out just barely over there forehead. I've found that w/ doing this not much eq is needed.

Axis said:
As far as eq for voices if you do it right you shouldn't need much eq. Grab some bobby pins and try running the mics up the back of their neck, through their hair with the actual mic hanging out just barely over there forehead. I've found that w/ doing this not much eq is needed.

sorry i forgot to mention this, but for this play we're only using hanging choir mics (3 in the front of the stage, 3 in the back) and then two boundary mics on both sides of the stage. They pick up a lot of sounds i'd rather not have picked up, such as all the reverb, but oh well.

Back