Soundtracs Console - are they any good?

Rubo4

I have a chance to pick up Soundtracs Solo Midi recording console 16/8/2 with mute automation for about $900US. It's in mint condition? I need 16 channel mixer for recording only, features aren't a big issue rather then sound quality. I don't need anything more then 16 channels. I record only synthesizers and keyboards so that's why I need something warm rather then crystal transparent sond. I've narrowed it down to:

Soundtracs Solo $16/8 - I found in mint condition for $900 US.

A&H GL2200/16 - $1200.

Soundcraft 200B - Around $1000.

Noise, and maintains is an issue here as well.

Any other suggestions. I'm very interested in the Soundtracs console - any opinions on it compared to the other too as far as headroom, warmth and overall sound.

cheers

I have used the Soundtracs Topaz 32x8. It has a warm sound but it is noisy, and the channels tend to bleed over.
Your list seems OK but there are other alternatives in the price range you stated. If was looking to get a small mixer, I would probably look at the Soundcraft Spirit M-8 (under $700) or a Mackie 1604vlz Pro ( around $1000).

>>Disclaimer<<
The information listed above is my personal opinion. When spending your hard earned cash, you should always do your homework. Research what's available to you and decide what meets your needs.

No offense to you, but I would not take advice from someone who thinks Mackie make decent mixers. For the price maybe, but for the quality - no way. My friend has 1642 - a new one, it sounds so dull that I'd rather mix in digital then use a Mackie.

Worked for me

I used one some years back. I liked it. The mute automation is VERY usefull. I like that board WAY better than the Mackie 24/8. The Soundcraft is a nice sounding board, better than the tracs. The mute automation to me makes the tracs a better choice. This is just my opinion. I wear out the mute buttons on my boards.

Kirk

Mute automation doesn't bother me that much I can do all that in software. Which one you think sounds more fat and has better headroom Soundcraft or Soundtracs?

I have a soundtracs topaz 24/8 and i love it. The man himself, Harvey Gerst recommends them. I believe it used to be his Studio B console.

From using both

I like the Soundcraft sound wise. I wonder if you get a good sounding board you might like to mix on it instead of the puter. If so the mute automation is worth something.

The 200B is a nice board.
Kirk

Back