Sound Blaster Live / Dithering

Antz_Marchin

I though I read somewhere that Soundblaster Live Cards (which I have) are only capable of 16 bit recording .........is this true?? If this is the case, is there no need then for me to dither my tracks when mastering before burning them onto a CD?? Thanks in advance. BJ

Yes and yes.

You just record in standard 16 bit 44.1khz and you don't need to dither down to anything because you're already there.

But this isn't a huge advantage because the SB cards are poohy, but convinient i suppose :)

Thanks man.....Yeah I know it's not an advantage, I'd rather track and mix down at 24 and dither to 16 for quality even though it's more effort........the problem............Being a student my budget is even more poohey than SB Live.......Soon enough I'll have an M card. : )

Antz_Marchin said:
Thanks man.....Yeah I know it's not an advantage, I'd rather track and mix down at 24 and dither to 16 for quality even though it's more effort........the problem............Being a student my budget is even more poohey than SB Live.......Soon enough I'll have an M card. : )

SB Live will do 24 bit.

Look again to make sure.

Malcolm

No, sound blaster live will not do 24 bit.

I think the audigy can playback in 24bit but can't record, and it's quite possible that the new Audigy 2 can record in 24 bit.

But i am 100 perecent sure that the soundblaster live cannot record in 24 bit.

SBLive is 16-bit/48kHz. (not 44.1!)

It will resample sound on-the-fly and can lead to funky artifacts in your sound.

Lock yourself into recording at 16/48k and only do a final resampling to 16/44.1 before burning your .wav files to audio-CD.

Audigys are also 16bit/48kHz but as stated above can PLAY BACK 24-bit files.

Don't be fooled by their "Creative" advertising....

TimOBrien said:
SBLive is 16-bit/48kHz. (not 44.1!)

It will resample sound on-the-fly and can lead to funky artifacts in your sound.

Lock yourself into recording at 16/48k and only do a final resampling to 16/44.1 before burning your .wav files to audio-CD.

Audigys are also 16bit/48kHz but as stated above can PLAY BACK 24-bit files.

Don't be fooled by their "Creative" advertising....

LOL

I just looked last night and yall are right. My partner has a SBlive 5.1 and I have a Audigy2. I thought his card could do 24 bit so I was running the digital out to my digital console via spif. I can get sound from the softsynths / digital out from his live,, but when I did a vox recording in Sonar at 24bit and played back the track only with the vox,, it shot to hell and back.. I couldn;t figure it out.

I have sonar setup for 24 bit ( No dither ) and my 2408 and digital console clocked at 44.1 ... Now I know that the problem is the SBlive,,, but one question... How is it that I can get sound from his SBlive digital out while my console is clocked to the motu's internal at .... Nevermind,,, just thought of it.. the motu is set for 44.1 and the digital console to 44.1 but the audio is sending 24/44.1 .. Just babbling....

I guess my console detects the 2 different bit rates coming in.
Ill just use my Audigy2 and run 24/44.1 across the whole signal path.

Oh another thing,, I never had this problem before because I used the analog out of the SBlive to 2 analog channels inputs on the console. The 2408 was the only thing sending digital signals

Thanks

Back