So what do you guys do with that mono oh/room mic?

If I am recording a band live at a show, I will use an omni overhead mic centered on the drum set. I usually have a limited number of chanels to use, so that is one place I will cut back when setting up the mics.

Chris. said:
Just curious as to techniques or what you like using a mono drum overhead or room mic for.

I usually do stereo OH's and room mics - but if I do only have a mono room mic to work with I generally slam the hell out of it, and run it thru a stereo verb. This works well if you have a crappy and/or dead drum room.

I like it aimed at the snare about two to two and a half drums sticks length above it. It picks up the entire kit. I sweeten that with the tight mics. I like a KM-184 there or if the cymals are too bright, an Octava MK-012 with a omni cap. Panned to the center. I also have some Earthworks I like too.

Chris. said:
Just curious as to techniques or what you like using a mono drum overhead or room mic for.
The one that pops into my head first is recording outside the nearfield of an instrument. I have never done it with drums for a few technical reasons, but acoustic instruments like acoustic guitar, piano, brass.

Sometimes, assuming you have the proper room, getting outside the nearfield of the instrument (ususally, but not always, when solo tracking) can capture the whole instrument in a very analog-sounding (warm, organic) way.

G.

NL5 said:
Ooops - maybe I misunderstood - do you mean during tracking? Mixing? Both?
During tracking. I've read people sometimes do a mono overhead, or a mono room mic. I was just wondering how that was put to work when you mix. What exactly people use it for.

I drive it hard at the preamp ( I usually use an old Trident Preamp for this) and then Nuke it with a Distressor. It all depends on the feel of each individual song as to how much if any of it gets used in this Mix. I usually use a Neuman U87 for the Room Mic, but sometimes I will use a Blue Blueberry or a Royer 121.

I like to smash the hell out of it and put a low pass filter on it to beef up the kit.

I mix the kit the way I want it to sound then slide in the room mic underneath to give some extra thump

Back