So I'm the Lucky One...

studiogenocide

So I'm the lucky one. I went to a pawn shop, where going to pawn shops anymore is like going to any used goods store, where they know EXACTLY what they have and its approximate value (thank you eBay and internet). I saw a set of KRK Rockit powered 5's (studio monitors) connected to a DVD burner and VHS player. ??????? I thought WTF? I did not see a sticker on them as all merchandise had stickers. I took a chance and asked the guy at the counter how much he wanted for those "little stereo speakers" , and he said it was being sold as a set. So I asked him if he was sure he was selling them as a set and he said, "What would you give me for the speakers?" I told him I hated to even offer, because I didn't know "his" merchandise. He asked me the golden question: "Does $60 sound too much for you?" You guessed it- I got them, and in a hurry!

Way to cool $30. a piece and now what are you going to do with them ?...I mean what did you have before are you going to have an a/b set up now?

:cool:

Way to cool $30. a piece and now what are you going to do with them ?...I mean what did you have before are you going to have an a/b set up now?

What do I do with them? I have Event Tr8s now, and I was going to post something else later asking how do I use them together... Never thought I would own another pair of monitors, I wasn't looking for them. Do folks use second pairs in conjunction with other monitors and how do you set them up? My board has a main L and R out. Would I use a simple patch panel with 1/4" ins and outs to connect? I really don't know- I just got htis yesterday!

i just replaced my TR8s with some Tannoy Precision 8Ds. Havent decided what to do with the TR8s yet. but they are probably close enoug to the 8Ds that it would be redundant to have them as secondaries. If i were to get some secondaries, it would be some cheapies to replicate standard radio play.

No you would want the 2nd pair of monitors to do an A/B to what you already have for monitors. So what you would need is a simple switching switch you can purchase or build one.
Or just sell the ones you don't want for a profit and purchase something that you really need.

No you would want the 2nd pair of monitors to do an A/B to what you already have for monitors. So what you would need is a simple switching switch you can purchase or build one.
Or just sell the ones you don't want for a profit and purchase something that you really need.

So what I'm asking is, do I just get a standard patch panel with standard 1/4" ins and outs? I am assumming they make such an animal, with no coloration effects, just a plain old patch panel- they make one for everything else... Anyway- so the A/B config we're talking about- that means using both sets of monitors simultaneously, correct?

So what I'm asking is, do I just get a standard patch panel with standard 1/4" ins and outs? I am assumming they make such an animal, with no coloration effects, just a plain old patch panel- they make one for everything else... Anyway- so the A/B config we're talking about- that means using both sets of monitors simultaneously, correct?

Nope switching between the two to get a different perspective.

Nope switching between the two to get a different perspective.

Exactly why the Yamaha NS10's are sought after.Not because they're great monitors but because they translate well to normal home stereo speakers.Mix on the good monitors but A/B back and forth to get a good idea on how well your mix will sound on regular speakers as opposed to your good monitors.

What do I do with them? I have Event Tr8s now, and I was going to post something else later asking how do I use them together... Never thought I would own another pair of monitors, I wasn't looking for them. Do folks use second pairs in conjunction with other monitors and how do you set them up? My board has a main L and R out. Would I use a simple patch panel with 1/4" ins and outs to connect? I really don't know- I just got htis yesterday!

I use two pairs of monitors in addition to a stereo sub setup. I bought a little four way distributor at Radioshack for like $20... I can't find it online anymore but they may still have them in their stores. It has RCA input for Video and left and right audio and four outs... I just use the audio portion to feed my monitors.

I have a set of Samson 3a that sit in front of me and a set of the 4a that sit off to the side of the desk and two 10 inch subs on either side of the desk as well, with one output left over for now... I'm thinking about adding a set of the 5a to the mix as well...

amazing deal..i just purchased the RP5's two weeks ago myself..found someone on craigslist selling them for 200 for both along with a guitar center warranty thats still very much valid. I love the RP5's perfect size for a small home studio and great reproduction on the low end..good buy

Back