Should I only use my monitors for mixing?

Sure, use them for what they are - speakers.

I use mine for listening to music, monitoring if I'm recording something direct etc.

Same here. However, regular HIFI speakers always sound so much more powerful and punchier.

Lopp said:
Same here. However, regular HIFI speakers always sound so much more powerful and punchier.
There are always exceptions. My Panasonic stereo system sure as hell doesn't sound any more powerful or punchy when compared to my Spirit Absolute 2's. I never listen to my stereo system anymore, in fact, I've put it in a closet to make better use of the space it consumed. :D

Im sure ill get flamed for this, but I still use my stereo system, with a pair of Wharfedale speakers. The response isnt all that flat, but by positioning them well in my studio, and placing my 'listening / mixing' stool in the sweet spot, I've found that whatever Mix I come up with sounds good wherever I play it.

If the speakers you use for monitoring are good, use them for whatever. Just dont use them whacked up when you have a party in your house, cus it'd be a shame to blow them while your pissed as a fart.

:D

You should frequently use your monitors for just listening. You'll know their response better that way, and your mixes will turn out better.

Whoopysnorp said:
You should frequently use your monitors for just listening. You'll know their response better that way, and your mixes will turn out better.

Real good advice, that does make alot of sense.

man, this site is indispensable.

or should I say..... you guys are indispensable.

I use mine for everything from listening to mp3s, to video games, to lugging them around in my car for back seat speakers! I tell ya, monitors are loud buggers.

Christopher

I still need to figure out a way to hook up a bunch of diffent systems to my computer and switch through them quickly for mixing. I'm not home often enough to use my monitors to listen to music through. I wish there was a way to hook my computer up to my car stereo too. Hmm... My car has a standard power outlet... Hmm...

Actually, it's not some clever name I sat up all night thinkin up. It's a song title I used on the fly trying to get back into the site when my other profile had technical difficulties. Little did I know I would wind up stuck with this title.:(

Back