Setting volumes across multiple songs so they all sound the same volume

Chalkdust

HI, I have some 40 songs prepared on Logic as backing tracks, and I need to be able to mix them down so that the volumes are the same when playing back through a PA. To date I have been doing this by ear / trial and error, and after a long time it still isn't quite right. I do see some 'quick-fix' apps on the web that CLAIM they solve my problem but ... do they?

When I THINK i've got it right at low volume and then play at performing volume it all goes to pot (Fletcher-Munson effect I believe) so I am thinking there is no short cut to this ...

... am I right?

One thing you can do is to measure the songs using LUFS scale. It might give a better indication as to the general loudness of each track.

Some of the mastering suites are designed to help you equalize various tracks. I just started playing around with Izotrope Elements. It has compression settings to bring things up to a particular level.

Thanks everyone, i am using LUFs to get a rough match then the rest is up to my ears, so that pretty much is what you say .. I wondered if there was something I was missing.

Using an average LUFS measurement across the entire track is a good first step but you need to bring in other ideas when you try to do an album level match.

1. Don't start every song from the beginning when doing a "by ear" adjustment. The start of each song has a lot to do with your perception of the song's level overall and can fool you into making adjustments that are not helping you. Not every song starts at the same level of course....and that's not an issue. The musical dynamics of each song are very important.

2. Check the loudest part of each track to make sure it doesn't clip of course......but also to match them. If a song part is too loud then people notice that and sometimes turn it down. A song that has quiet parts does not necessarily make people turn the volume up.

3. Place all of the tracks into a single "song" in your DAW and arbitrarily move from track to track and spot to spot to check levels.

4. Getting a sort of similar "mix EQ sound" across all your songs is important. A bright mix sound can sound louder than a dull mix.....or a bass heavy mix can sound louder too.

5. Don't overthink it. It's ok to have songs not be perfectly level in an album. If you listen to many commercial albums.....you'd realize that's true.

6. In the end...trust your ears as much as possible.

These are just my opinions and observations from my own experience.........and my 2 cents worth.

Back