Sequence of Mixing Reverb Question

fluxburn

When I record my tracks some have reverb on them. While I find it is nessary to compress these before entering my daw, still probelms persist. I find it super annoying if I compress the track again, or during mix down and the reverb sounds that were low come up and sound like shit. Should you add reverb only on the final mix, right before mastering? I have listened to plently of cd's and they had the same reverb the whole way through, does this mean they were dry tracks and they just dumped a reverb unit on the mastering job?

Usually you add reverb while you are mixing. If you are printing the reverb to the track then that is the problem. Never record the reverb while you are tracking because as you have found you are stuck with it. You should use Aux sends during the mixdown so you can control the entire reverb level without altering the original tracks.

Ok, so what I am doing is wrong. I should add reverb into the recording as the last step, or at the last point possible.

I would love to have enough outputs and aux sends to do what you are talking about but I do not. I have a mackie 1604vlz pro, and am about do get a lucid 8824. So the max I could have would be 8 channels going out of the computer, to the mixer, through the aux sends to my not yet purchased lexicon reverb unit, then back in the computer. This is what I am taking in from what you are suggesting.

I currently record tracks into the computer, and apply waves trueverb right away... which is a no no. I guess the easiest way to do this would be to add a send track (basicly an aux track) in cubase to a waves trueverb. I used todo this, but I find my top of the line DAW for windblows and Cubase Sx 2.0 seems to enjoy filling up 50% of the cpu with 20 tracks at 7-9 minutes with no effects. The cpu is 2.4ghz with a gig of cosair ram. Maybe other people only use 8 tracks or something? I average use 15-20 tracks. Sometimes less sometimes more.

fluxburn said:
I guess the easiest way to do this would be to add a send track (basicly an aux track) in cubase to a waves trueverb.

That's exactly how you should be doing it. When you get your hardware reverb you don't need an output for every track. You can route a send in the software to one or two hardware outs on the soundcard and run that to the effects unit. Instead of sending them to a plugin you send them to the hardware.

Is it a celeron processor? A 2.4 ghz pentium with a gig of ram should have no problems running 20 tracks and some plugins. However, reverb does use up a lot of power.

I figured out the probelm. When I load my "cubase" user I manual must hit cntl-alt-del and close the norton crap. I also close all other services like the printer etc. I have all the services memorized anyway. Untill I get my other computer running for the net, I will just have to put up with this.

Back