Seeking some advice on my Mix

I thought everything that wasn't vocals or rhythm section was hard to hear. It's especially noticeable on the guitar solo at the end. That should be much closer to the energy of the vocal. I'd say dropping the vocal down a dB or 2 might help, but the balance with the rhythm section seems to be pretty good. The guitar was harder to hear, and it drew my ear off the vocal trying to hear it. The balances at the start of the track are pretty good, but once everything kicks in full is where I was struggling to hear the guitars.

Nice track.

I like the way the different elements mixed, and had no problem with the guitars moving to the background for parts. It kept things from being too busy. Running through the hifi system, it sounded really good, which is what the consumer would hear.

When I listened, there was a glitch around 5-6 seconds in, but other than than, it was good.

Hey Guys thank you so much for your honest reply you don't know how much i appreciate the feedback Snow Lizard i heard what your saying and i did a remix of the song for more clarity. Hey TalismanRich i heard the glitch i tried to get it out it didn't work so i just left it there. i would like you to hear the remix version of the mix.

Attachments

• SaudadeDo TeuBeijo Remix_01.mp3
    5.6 MB · Views: 21
I like the changes you made. Guitars are much easier to hear.

To me, this is definitely the kind of track where you have a great vocal and you want to feature it as the main thing. This might seem counterintuitive, but the vocal is definitely out front through the whole song. There are a couple of sections, from 32 to 55 seconds into the track and again from 1:34 to 1:56 where the vocal might be a tick too loud. Those sections are where the track has the most density, and it seems like the vocal is so far out on top of the track in those sections that it dwarfs the track slightly. I like the balance in the sparse sections and probably wouldn't change anything there. I would try to automate the vocal to bring it down a dB or two in the dense sections to make the backing track sound relatively bigger. Net result is bigger sound. The transition should be smooth so there's no obvious ducking, and the vocal should still be on top of the track.

Those are my thoughts anyway. Overall it sounds pretty good.

Snow Lizard man i wish i could shake your hand, i really appreciate the time you took to give me such a feedback. Listening to the track i immediately heard what your saying. To be honest there is no automation in the mix i have a serious problem when it comes on to automation esp vocals sigh... i don't know where to start when it comes to automation. I know automation would make a major difference Snow Lizard thanks Much again i really appreciate it.

I don't know what you're using to mix, but most digital workstations will have a control for displaying a volume envelope. It puts a horizontal line across the graphic waveform that you can click on to add control points. Then you just drag the line up or down to automate the volume.

Here's a video showing how you can do this in Reaper. Most other DAWs have very similar functions.

Snow Lizard Man i appreciate this so much words can not explain man wow this showed me that i have a lot of work to do on the vocals. Thanks much man

That glitch 5-6 seconds in sounds like the guitar's(?) muted trips stepping on the vocal. Muting the guitar(?) there should reveal yes or no.

Back