Seeking Feedback For Beginner Mix

I am relatively new to this site and a beginner when it comes to mixing. I am using pro tools as DAW.

Please let me know your feedback on this mix (not mastered). Here is some background info to help.

1. No stereo panning applied (thinking of panning rhythm guitar and bass guitar away from each other)
2. There is a drum sum aux track with reverb (100% wet) applied, although I kept the reverb levels very low
3. The rhythm guitar was covering up the bass and kick. Raising the bass and kick level was creating peaking issues so I applied a severe HP to cut the low end from the rhythm guitar. This helped to balance the bass and kick but now the rhythm guitar sounds bad.
4. I will probably end up re-recording with a different guitar tone but will try panning rhythm guitar and bass and applying mid-scoop the rhythm guitar before re-tracking.
5. Drums are midi and I am working with a limited pallet using Xpand!2
6. Bass is midi
7. Lead guitar will get turned down, too loud right now. Also may record with less gain on the lead tone.

New Session Mix by Trey Young | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
(listening on ear buds) Good consistency overall, sounds tight. The midi instruments are obvious and a little 'thin' sounding. The lead tone is nice, did you mic your amp, or record it dry? I like recording dry and re-amping, gives more freedom for tweaking sounds.

Here is my go at improving the mix. I still think I need to re-track the rhythm guitar with something totally different.

New Session Mix 2 by Trey Young | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I agree with you about re-tracking the rhythm guitar.

It's very prominent, and is masking the interesting things you are doing with the rest of the track.

It would be interesting to hear the track without the rhythm guitar at all.

But you could (at worst) drop the level of the rhythm singificantly to stop it from muddying things up, or (at best) retrack and play in a manner that reflects more the underlying structure, rather than just strumming.

Back