Seeking advice for my Mix (blending a tom drum) AUDIO PROVIDED

xHenry95

Hey everyone,

I'm new here so please forgive me if this is in the wrong thread.

Basically I have made this track, using headphones, admittedly the only headphones I have are the Mpow headset for work (very bass heavy, but surprisingly decent for listening) and some pioneer HDJ100 (also very bass heavy) but none are made for producing.

When I hooked up my Yamaha HS8s for the first time to test, the mix sounds no where near as good!

I did a bit of googling and found that it's normally the other way around, and more difficult to get a mix to sound good in headphones.

I am mostly happy with it but my biggest issue is the 'tom'... I'm not sure how it would replicate on someone elses headphones/speakers, but it all sounds really good in my headphones, but as I said with my speakers the tom isn't very audible but creates a nasty click in the low-mid ends.

I will provide links to the audio if you are interested :)

I basically would like to find out if you might have any neat tricks to make the tom sound louder (more audible) without hurting the mix (in both speakers and headphones)

It could possibly be an acoustic problem in my bedroom, I don't have many options as I am in lockdown at my parents house hense why I am producing using the only headphones I have. One speaker is higher than the other and they are not set up correctly to have the proper effect they should do when producing.

I would love it, if there was a way to create a mastering chain which replicated the sound of my headphones on any speakers, is that even possible?

Ableton Live 10, windows 10

Tom (alone) clyp.it/aifsg0yw?token=e0675888944b6b067f0f014f4c1ccdb6

Tom with Drums clyp.it/kvmbgrex?token=a9ffa0f3a840186dc8fa45f5e20739b7

Full Drop clyp.it/ycmkeeev?token=1f8c35c504c0fabf313215f9e7f33eae

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, if you're willing to help, please ask any questions.

Thank you!

Sorry, but your clips don't seem to be the same. Where is the tom in the 'tom with drums' and 'full drop'? In the 'tom with drums' where is the kick, which is very loud in the 'full drop'?

Using headphones (unless you have some good expensive ones) makes it much harder to make a mix that translates well to other systems.

I think its a case of your headphones accentuating things differently from your speakers.

I have two pair of sunglasses, one is neutral grey and all they do is make things darker I have a pair with a reddish tint that makes yellows oranges and reds really stand out (great for fall foliage and finding yellow and orange golf balls). Which would be the better pair if I was trying to evaluate colors?

The same thing seems to be happening with your monitoring system. You say that both headphones are bass heavy. That affects your perception of balance.

Listening to your third clip, I really didn't hear any tom at all. It was all thump and clap. Where was the tom supposed to be?

I think its a case of your headphones accentuating things differently from your speakers.

I have two pair of sunglasses, one is neutral grey and all they do is make things darker I have a pair with a reddish tint that makes yellows oranges and reds really stand out (great for fall foliage and finding yellow and orange golf balls). Which would be the better pair if I was trying to evaluate colors?

The same thing seems to be happening with your monitoring system. You say that both headphones are bass heavy. That affects your perception of balance.

Listening to your third clip, I really didn't hear any tom at all. It was all thump and clap. Where was the tom supposed to be?

VEry good explanation, that is what I gathered and I want my mix to look like the coloured glasses without using those glasses! haha

There is supposed to be a double hit of the tom before and after the third beat in the drop. Although only one hit is just about audible :/ I don't know how else to point it out in the mix, as this is the problem I am having with making it more audible. Possibly I need to boost the high ends and take off the bass a little.

I agree the mix is definitely a bit bass heavy, and maybe this is causing the problem.

There is supposed to be a hit of the tom before and after the third beat of the drop, however only the hit instantly following the third beat is audible. And to make more sense, I think I exported the 'tom with drums' from the first beat of the drop, where as the drop provides one or two bars before the drop.

Perhaps someone might have better advise on how to improve the entire mix considering I have used some incorrect headphones to produce the track. I will be buying some proper open-back headphones next month to hopefully sort this problem.

Back