Screamo Vox? EXCITING!!

ElegyOfficial

Hello experts!
We are in desperate need of your help... How can we make our awesome screamo vocals sound better? What should i do? Is there a distortion thing? How can i get the distortion thing if there is one? Is any reverb added? These things i must know :) I am new to mixing these vocals so any help would be amazing and we will love you forever!
-ATG

Here is a trick that I heard the deftones did on their album White Pony. Record the vocalist whispering the lyrics a few times and heavily compress them. The whispers have to be very in sync with the screaming. Mix that with your main screaming vocal track to taste. Your "screaming" vocalist will probably need good mic technique and/or a lot of compression.

+1 for whisper tracks. Vocalists new to the idea always look quite confused when you ask them to do it, but after some heavy compression they see why you did it.

Here is a trick that I heard the deftones did on their album White Pony. Record the vocalist whispering the lyrics a few times and heavily compress them. The whispers have to be very in sync with the screaming. Mix that with your main screaming vocal track to taste. Your "screaming" vocalist will probably need good mic technique and/or a lot of compression.

I don't do screamo as I am more of a gutteral death growl kind of dude but this sounds like it might give me some intersting sounds if I play with it enough...

+1 for whisper tracks. Vocalists new to the idea always look quite confused when you ask them to do it, but after some heavy compression they see why you did it.

LAyering tracks with wildly different dynamic intensities just rules anyway. One of my favorite recorded vocals is Devin Townsend's chorus and bridge on Aeyron's "Day Three: Pain" off The Human Equation. He's singing what sounds like three part harmonies at a sort of gentle, breathy intensity, then on the third measure one of them suddenly strengthens a bit and jumps an octave, and then on the 4th one of them breaks into a near-death metal scream.

It's fucking amazing, the contrast - it never fails to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I can't get on YouTube from work, so I don't know how the audio is on this, but try this link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-ncSNUswVY

I usually dual mic the vocalist with a close condenser and crappy, shitty dynamic mic far away. I then gate and compress the living hell out of the far away dynamic mic and add a nice distorion plug-in (I use redopter) after the compressor. Distort the fucker until you can hear the alien communications hidden in the vocal signal. Use an eq and cut out any extremely resonant frequencies. Add a little reverb to send it behind the main vocal condenser. Mix it lower in volume than the main vocal. do this as many times as you see fit.

That is really interesting, i never really payed any attention to Deftones...but since you mentioned this, i am quite interested in hearing how that album turned out...and i wanna hear how they did that. Thank you for sharing this!! :)

LAyering tracks with wildly different dynamic intensities just rules anyway. One of my favorite recorded vocals is Devin Townsend's chorus and bridge on Aeyron's "Day Three: Pain" off The Human Equation. He's singing what sounds like three part harmonies at a sort of gentle, breathy intensity, then on the third measure one of them suddenly strengthens a bit and jumps an octave, and then on the 4th one of them breaks into a near-death metal scream.

It's fucking amazing, the contrast - it never fails to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I can't get on YouTube from work, so I don't know how the audio is on this, but try this link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-ncSNUswVY

Nice share you got there, i have to agree with you man, it did kinda make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, spine tingling, i like the intensity of it, it goes from kinda slow to build up and its amazing combination of vocals (singing then deeper singing, then screaming). You made me a fan of them so.... +1 :)

I usually dual mic the vocalist with a close condenser and crappy, shitty dynamic mic far away. I then gate and compress the living hell out of the far away dynamic mic and add a nice distorion plug-in (I use redopter) after the compressor. Distort the fucker until you can hear the alien communications hidden in the vocal signal. Use an eq and cut out any extremely resonant frequencies. Add a little reverb to send it behind the main vocal condenser. Mix it lower in volume than the main vocal. do this as many times as you see fit.

This is quite a great way to explain how to record screamo man!
Next time our vocalist comes over, this is definately worth trying... The only sucky part is i gotta buy Redopter :( haha but whatever. But thank you for sharing this with me. addin reputation to ya :)

You can actually use any distorion plug-in, I just use redopter due to its flexibility. Good luck with this. I do it on metal vocals quite often. Even sometimes have them double track the vocals and do this in a lighter fashion with the double tracked vocals. The possibilites are endless.

try bussing clip distortion and some gated reverb this really worked for me but the guy had a monster of a voice :)

cookie-monster-300x290.jpg

Depends on How good your "screamer" is. With ours, all i really do is compress The vocals, and eq it. and maybe add a touch of reverb. :drunk:

When im making screamo vocals i tend to run the mic though an SPL Charisma. not to distort it too much, just to give it edge, and richness. That works for me most of the time. And then of course its nice to double the vox tracks where you really want it to sound big and evil. Experiment is the way of getting good results out of such thing.

A simple thing I used to do was run the screaming track out and re play through a distorted guitar amp and record that. Sounded good to me back then.

I would use a really high quality dynamic mic, like the Shure SM7B. Lots of compression and some EQ. It all depends on what you're looking for. Generally, you want a very dry sound. Not much room noise.

Back