Screamo Vox? EXCITING!!

it really does depend on the screamer. The last band i recorded had four different vocalists on one song, with four levels of how good they were.
lets break it down..

1st. This guy was the definition of a good screamer IMO: loud, very present voice, you could understand what he was screaming, and he had a huge range. There was no need to layer his vocals and everything was captured on a condensor mic into a preamp. Mixing, i added some presence between 7 and 8khz, then compressed it a bit and sent it to a reverb bus to blend it with the mix.
2nd. He was mostly an "inhale" screamer but he was convinced to do exhales. Big mistake. There was no body to his screams so the condensor didn't work. I broke out a sure sm58 beta, put a wind sock on it, and had him cup the mic to add more body to his screams. He doubled his screams and i also had him do some inhales to add behind his vocals. Mixing, there was a boxy tone behind his voice around 200hz, and i compressed the hell out of the layered screams.
3rd. i recorded this kid before but today he did not give he best performance. He had a rasp to his voice, but it didn't sound like "screaming" to me. Somehow i managed to fix this by cutting at 150, and taking a huge scoop out of 250. Then i sent that to a distortion bus and mixed it with the main vocal.
4th. Kind of gutteral sounding, i did almost nothing to his screams but adding an L2 to his voice made it more punchy. It kinds of killed the dynamics but hey, he really didn't have any.

so it really depends on the level of "how good is this guy" to figure out what to do in mixing. Sometimes its as easy as adding eq, compression, and reverb. But then some really need a lot of production.

try different mic techniques and doubling, or whatever needs to be done to have the vocalist stand out.

Back