Samples in key..??

itsme1234

Hi. I had a mixing question about samples and being in key.

Now I know instrumental wise you would want to be in the correct key when it comes to violins, guitar, piano....ext. But I have also notice a few people mentioning having 'Kicks' in key as well. Is this common to do this?

Depends what's in your sample and what's in the rest of the track as well as how the sample fits in with the rest of the track structurally.

If the sample is some musical instrument playing something or a piece of a song, then yes, you'd normally want that in the same key, unless of course you don't. How long is a piece of string?

You seem to be confusing pitch and key over in the Noobs forum, so are you sure you're asking the question you want answered?

yes. my other question in the noobs forum is unrelated to this.

i seen a video of a guy using software to find out what key his 'KICK' was, and then changing the key of his kick to match the scale of the song.

to be honest, it was a basic club / hip hop sounding kick with not much tonal value to it and I couldnt really hear the difference before and after changing key, so I was just wondering if anyone else did this or if it really makes that big of a difference, or if it was just an overkill.

Nothing extravagant. Just a sound editor.

Guess my heading and question show have been more specific to kick samples.

What i've found out with using drum loops is that sometimes i have to alter the pitch.For example sometimes i just can't find a loop i like that fits what i'm doing at a certain tempo.I may find the perfect loop but the at wrong tempo.If i use a loop from the 140bpm tempo folder and my tune is at 150 bpm the loop will get sped up and transposed and the resulting pitch of the loop will be higher.

I have to go to that specific loop and correct the pitch so it'll sound more normal and fit with the other loops.Sometimes it's a little noticable but i've been getting better with using the loops and try to avoid having to go through all that.Sometimes you gotta work with what you have if you don't have a real drummer.Hope it helps

i seen a video of a guy using software to find out what key his 'KICK' was, and then changing the key of his kick to match the scale of the song.

His kick, as a single sound source, isn't in any key... or it's in many different keys, depending upon how you want to look at it.

I get what you mean, but if you're talking about the note that a single drum makes, on its own, out of the context of the other drums in the set, then pitch, not key, is where we're at...

Back