Sampled bass...???

PRiZ-one

okay, so I got a bass sound sliced, or it's sorta like a heavy drum or soemthing. how do I turn it into bass...? Or make the bass deeper, what I've tried so far which sorta works is copying the hit, and pasting it over top to make a double as a harder and deeper hit, and then I tried the maxxbass plug-in in soundforge etc. This seems to make it louder and seem more like bass.

can anyone explain how to do it correct though.
Like how to lower the frequency or whatever you do to get that deeper bass, also to make the bass stretch out in length etc...

I'm using Soundforge, but anything you tell me in any program should help. Anything baout how you get bass would help...?
Thanks!

first thing - your bass gotta sound like a bass - meaning if the sound don't have anything happening from 80Hz and below, you can't raise anything from 80Hz and below. I'm not quite sure what you mean by
"got a bass sound sliced, or it's sorta like a heavy drum or soemthing. how do I turn it into bass"
If you have like one hit and wanna make a walking bass from that - forget it. If you wanna make a bassline from bass samples, you need some kind of bass riff to slice up and glue together. If you have one note and wanna pitch it, it'll sound unnaturall because of the ... damn - what's the word ... timbre ? one note consists of a whole bunch of sounds you don't actually hear, they change as you change note on a instrument, if you pitch it, you loose the "natural sound" ... not making myself clear am I ? :)
bizz

thanks!

yeah your making yourself clear...after further inspection, yes it is a drum, but over top of the drum with it, is clearly what I know would have to be clearly, nice, beuatifull bass....

So now that I know if it was just a drum I couldn't use it for bass : ( I actually thought you could somehow...back to basics...what do I do, actually I just relized the drums are really just close to the bass, the bass is free and ready for my destruction... so what do I do?

do I just slice the bass part and then extend it to give a nice extended section of base etc...???

Please, Go ahead and explain how you do it, or what I do to the bass I have, to make some hits of bass into a whole rythem with the beat, well it actually already is to the beat... but you know how the bass sorta drags out in most hiphop tracks along to the sounds etc.

Anyone who can help, me it would be very appreciated. peazer!

could you upload the drum/bass you are talking about ? it would make it much easier to give an advice. And maybe that drum could be used for some far out bass, don't let me stop you in being inventive - there are no limits ( well - allmost ) play around with it, you have soundforge, the time stretcher can do some wicked things, sometimes it turns out beuatiful, sometimes ugly, just go for it ..... but it'll probably not sound as a bass :)
bizz

okay...

Si I've been downloading soem bass samples off teh web etc, and there does seem to be some nice parts, but most of it seems to either be too short or it has it's own fucky tonal qualities I'm not feelin musically. So Overall, besides the web and besides hunting down every little peice of bass I can find on the songs I search...how do i go about this easy and accurately?

I heard a keyboard is key for the easy control of how the bass will bounce over a track etc. So in general is there any bass programs or anything to make my life easier.

Also I'd like to know all your oppinions on the results of each method. Like do any of you think nothing sounds better than sampled bass...? because in the end, it'a all about the music, and if searching for those perfect bass samples is what's gonna give me the best results I'd probably be glad to do it etc. thanks!

hopefully, I'll get this down soon enuff, I've just realized how important bass is as an element of the beat, i'd say it comes in right after the drums if not first. PEazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Also if any of you know of any sites that have lots of bass that's just bass.... Meaning, no sounds to them in the tone or background etc, not sure how to explain, but just that rumbleing bumby bass we all love... if so please slip the secret site in your post. thankssssssssssssss

I think that a bass player is the best choice. Secondary good samples, but don't count on finding hi quality samples of anything on the www, 99,9 percent of it is in 8 bit, mp3, bad sampled or bad cut, go invest your money in a sample cd. Check out this site
http://www.e-lab.se/
you have to sign up, but it's free, it's a company makin' sample cd's, they offer some free samples from every cd to registered users, guess there is some bass in there too.
Using a keyboard is fine - depends on the genre I guess, and keyboard bass is what you get, I have never heard a sample font bass that actually sounded like a bassplayer, but you could settle for a 303 thing or some other great bass sound, there's plenty to choose from. you could check out
http://www.thepluginlist.com/
to see if there is any free softsynths to emulate a bass.
bizz

Hey guy, playing sampler isn't like pushing samples into keymaps and playing them - it's even more like squasing them thru a wire and forming them afterwards.

What i want you to say:

If you have a bass with to much 'funk' or it is to short, then you have to play around with filters (maybe velocity depending), looping them at the end to make them longer or maybe you will use multisamples (somethimes refered as layerd samples).

Especially for the bass the length is no problem. My Kurzweil rack sampler originally had 8MB of sample ram (and that was quit much only a few years ago), so i dont want to waste expensive memory for no information. If the string of a bass once has been hit and the 'peng' is over, it oscillates till you stop it. So the only thing to do is to loop a few oscillations and setting the release parameter of the ADSR (attack time-decay value-sustain rime-RELEASE TIME for the rookies) properly.

hope this helps.
good look,
Mark

thanks!

yeah, Struberg your more on to what I'm inquiering about.
I'm wondering how to make my bass stretch etc.
I really don't know anything about bass, besides I think it's usually a low frequency? or something to that sort...? I have know idea. but most sites I've found actually have said teh samples are 16 bit 44. etc...

I actually don't really like the bass that sounds like a guitar in most cases the plucked sound. I'm more into it in the form of a beat or thump, or just rumble...but smooth if you know what i mean.

Are these samples cd's really worth it...?
Is the quality that good etc, and the benefits that much quicker etc? I've never heard of anyone really doing this, but then again my knwoldedge of whta people are doing is minimal.

Alright, i think thats all, take care!

I'm wondering how to make my bass stretch etc
I premise u us a sampler (hardware or software (EXS24,Halion,GigaSampler,..)), do you? Then the only thing to do is to play a longer note via midi...

Next point: I write this, cause i don't know how much you know about synthesis technics. A signal of any string (guitar, violin, bass, piano,...) is primary a sinus wave with even harmonics that wanes with higher frequencies (as Mr Fourier told us). In the free nature exists a maxime of free running linear waves. But if you interfere this system by hitting the string of a piano with the hammer of the piano, then there is a nonlinear wave within the string.
Imagine a whip: If you look at it while you snap it, there is a large wave on the side you hold the whip and a tiny wave at the tip. => it is the same thing while the hammer hitting the string => more different waves means more harmonics => brighter sound.
Ok, what does this mean to you: While there is a big amount of different harmonics at the start of the sample, it will decrease to the end. And that is the reason why you can loop the end of the sample without loosing significant information.

Next point: plucked sound => means more harmonics => filter them away.
All samplers i know are able to add a low pass filter to each zone. But be sure to use the key following mode on this filter, so the cutoff frequency travels with the note you play.

By the way: By theory (Shannons law) 16 kHz should be enough for a bass. I don't know if someone ever worked with the old Sequential Circuits 2002 Sampler? This old beast blasts your (b)ass away at 16kHz...

If you want to know more you have to study physics...

greets,
Schrödinger
(aka Mark)

thanks!

nah, no external sampler... What is the the best software sampler? I have soundforge...would you consider this a sampler?
I do sample with it... I guess I'll just experiment a lil more. I'll try that lowpass fliter if i have one. What didi you mean, by add a low pass filter "to each zone"...???

add a low pass filter "to each zone"...???
a zone is a range on the keyboard applied to one sample.
Example: You have 1 bass sample and associate it with a zone (also refered as keygroup) from C2 to C4 on your keyboard. voilá the bass sample will now automatically be piched up or down.

Normally Sampler uses more than one sample for 1 instrument (aproximately1 octave per sample) => 'multisample' means multiple keygroups are available (and/or layerd samples but thats another story...)

oh really acid eh?

well, it just so happens I'm using soundforge and Acid 3 right now.
I do most of my work in soundforge, and havn't getten to the acid parts to much yet since i'm still just beggining bassically. How does acid help me with bass, I know you can change the pitch, but from my experience, most sounds only sound good at one certain pitch, which is closest to the normal or the way teh sound was from the source, and that's if I can even get it to sound normal with the temp usually being changed.

Acid has been kinda pissing me off lately, right now i've manged to create my beats just with soundforge through overlaping and mixing techinques. Off topic, but I've also heard that cool edit and wavelabs are both easier and better than soundforge, is this true...I've alwasy taken soundforge as the best for what it does and onw of the best programs period.

What's all your take on this...? i'd like to know, since I'mnot really in the mood to take the chance to easily. thanks again, you guys are making this much easier than it usually is for me.

i personally use cooledit pro or the internal sample editor of logic and only know soundforge and acid from friends who have tried to use it.

The things i know/guess:
Acid is for Arrangements and
soundforge is a sampleeditor

But i dont use these things, so if there are any other opinions then please correct me.

I have been using both Cool Edit, Wave lab and Sound Forge, it's all a matter of taste I think, but in my opinion, Cool Edit is for "the scientific analysing" Sound Forge is for makin' music.
bizz

Back