Salvaging poorly recorded bass guitar track

nateware

Hi all. I have a poorly recorded but nicely played bass track. I recorded it years ago, and the bassist is no longer available, so re-recording is not an option. This is for a hard rock track, think Queens of the Stone Age.

During recording, there was some problem with the mic or connection that I didn't notice. The signal is strangely faint and fades in/out, almost like a drained battery in a DI box. Compression helps a bit, but the frequency of the track is weird, with the bottom end missing and it being very thin. EQ is of limited help.

I'm using Logic Pro X. I'm experimenting with "Convert to Sampler" which will extract the notes into a MIDI track. That's one route, but some of the feel of the track is lost.

Is there a plugin or technique I can use to recreate the low end? It needs more than just EQ "fattening" as the recorded signal is not sufficient. Essentially, I would like to use the existing track to trigger a plugin or processor, so that I preserve the feel. But the existing bass sound itself proving to be of limited use.

Thanks.

i don't think you can recreate a proper low end if it wasn't recorded but i might be wrong i hope i am...

You could try a harmonizer/pitch shifter/sub-harmonic generator, but those can sometimes be glitchy. Might do better to just use what you can and look elsewhere (drums, rhythm guitars) for the thump.

When you drop it in the mix, does it sound OK if the kick has some low end? Often bass tracks soloed sound very odd but in the mix they sound fine, you may get away with it in the mix.

Alan.

You could try doubling it up with a midi version. Then the midi version would provide the body while the analog version would provide the dynamics.

Double it with a midi track, send both to a group channel and insert an amp sim. Set the sim to an SVT-type setting and let it distort a bit. That should bring the two sounds together a bit.

It might also help.if you low pass the midi bass. That way, the feel will come from the actual bass part.

i would re-record the bass part anyway.

either send the stereo file, minus the bass track, to the bassist and let him hunt down a studio or situation, and re-do the part..
or just find someone else to learn the part and play it.

otherwise,
you are always going to have a compromised bass part.
and that's no good.

Maybe this isn't the "pro" thing to do, but I'd recommend (If you absolutely cannot redo the bass part, with or without the original bassist) double the bass line, dropping one down an octave with a pitch shifter, and cutting the highs of that and maybe boosting the lows a bit. I would think it should create a bass-y bottom, though may sound too fake/processed.

Double it with a midi track, send both to a group channel and insert an amp sim. Set the sim to an SVT-type setting and let it distort a bit. That should bring the two sounds together a bit.
That sounds like a cool technique. I'm gonna have to try that on something.

Back