Rough Mix Review

violetedge

Hello fellow engineers,
We're getting a great response to a song that took forever to mix. We had made a rough mix a while ago and listened to the feedback we got from our listeners. It made such a big difference we decided to put together a new MP3.com station:

the Rough Mix Review
http://www.mp3.com/stations/roughmix

Feel free to submit your own rough mix if you have one on MP3.com and you'd like to know how to improve it BEFORE you press your CD.

There are many different styles on the station right now: rock, blues rock, experimental, electronica, metal core...

ALL listeners are welcome to add their mixing advice to the guestbook, whether they submit a song or not.

Thanks,

Violet Edge
Melodic Rock with Female Vocals

Hey, review this rough mix:

Spam - a - lama lama . . .

Spam - a - lama lama . . .

ding-dong.

I do not like green eggs and spam, I do not like them spam I am.

Sorry to hear that. I was real interested to get a group of people together who can give intelligent feedback on mixes.

RS
Violet Edge

Post it in the MP3 clinic. It's there for a reason.

I was real interested to get a group of people together who can give intelligent feedback on mixes.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

This final mix of Jade took 47 tries.

Ooooo, welcome to reality. Don't tell Andy Wallace.

violetedge said:
Sorry to hear that. I was real interested to get a group of people together who can give intelligent feedback on mixes.

RS
Violet Edge

Wow, what a novel idea. Except, uh, I think the mp3 mixing clinic is just due South from the Mixing/mastering forum. I hate to disappoint you but I think someones' already thought of your idea first. :)

wom bom bom bom, ba spam da dang dang.

Violet edge is in stores now, everyone!

spam-a-lang-a-lang-a.

I wasn't aware of the MP3 clinic. Thanks for the info. Not disappointed. Whatever it takes.

Spam hunters enjoy yourselves posting hundreds of replies. The rest of us will take care of the actual mixing.

RS
Violet Edge

Last edited:
Oh. You think we are selling something.

Well, the CD is nowhere near finished and we don't pay MP3.com $20 a month for the privilege of earning pennies a download. That is a waste of time. But the musicians we meet thru the site are worth the time.

Yes is it SPAM. Someone Posting About Mixing.

RS
Violet Edge

No offense,

It just seems like this would be a good way, in theory, to spread word about your band and get some free pub. Otherwise you might choose a different I.D. . . . like maybe your actual name, or maybe a clever handle. And of course you wouldn't see any need to repeat your bands' name again at the end of your posts, either.

Not to mention the fact that you would have no need to refer to yourself as "we" all the time, which I don't quite understand. Is the whole band sitting at the computer together enjoying a visit to the homerecording forum? If so, I think you need to give one another some space. :)

But hey, it's a free country, so welcome aboard and have fun . . . doing . . . uh . . . whatever it is you came here to do.

So what do want to talk about, specifically, Violet? I'm all ears. Would you like some input?

- Chess Rock

Nice acronym, by the way.

chessrock said:
Not to mention the fact that you would have no need to refer to yourself as "we" all the time, which I don't quite understand. Is the whole band sitting at the computer together enjoying a visit to the homerecording forum?

Hey chess, get your damn hand off my upper thigh!

;)

>is the whole band sitting at the computer together
I am laughing out loud at that. Good one! 5 years as a band and look what it's done to me. 3 of us do keep up regular contact with musicians met over the net, but not at the same time or there sure would be some serious slapping going on.

> So what do want to talk about, specifically
I would specifically like to get the bands on the page some input about their mixes from other people. Critiques that go into more detail than "nice song".

But only if you want to. Listening to mixes takes time and writing out suggestions takes time.

I hear budding bands, such as Outta The Blue who just submitted to the station, who have such good songs but the mix and vocals are not there yet. Their email sounded like they were willing to learn and it will be cool to see them improve.

I understand what you mean about a handle. Since the page is obviously hosted by the band I didn't see the point in doing that, but looks like I was wrong. Using a band signature is habit.

RS
from some band you'll have to scroll up to remember if you are trying to follow the conversation and have no short term memory...

violetedge said:

I would specifically like to get the bands on the page some input about their mixes from other people. Critiques that go into more detail than "nice song".

Hey, Violet, sorry for busting your chops so much. I really like your idea of a place where people can critique each others' mixes. It's just that it sounds vaguely familiar. I think I have an idea for you that might help. Try this link:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?forumid=15

I remember when I use to work for Burger King and someone came in wanting to know if I knew anywhere in town where they could get some food. Or when I was in college, and someone stopped me on campus and asked me if I knew of any good schools in the area.

Are you kidding me???

He mixed:
Nevermind (nirvana)
Rage Against the Machine
At the Drive in

Among many others...

Ian

Back