Reverbs - how do you use them in a mix?

If the de-esser helps the reverb sound better on vocals it will probably sound fine on the other sources.

Yeah I agree. If 'ess's' are an issue, well then it is an issue. Either poor recording technique or just the nature of the performer. I see a de-esser as an editing tool, not an effect like reverb. If needed, I use them as first insert on the recorded track itself. I suppose if resources are an issue, then try to use one de-esser inserted on a group track, then send to effects from there. I am spoiled though, and don't have much limitation in regards to CPU power, though I am not sure a simple de-esser actually uses much. Not like a verb anyway....

What I mean is that the tracks without much sibilance problem simply won't trigger the de-esser, and even if they do trigger it the result will probably sound just fine. So put it ahead of the reverb on the same bus and don't worry about it.

Yeah, even though I do what Greg suggested and just EQ the vocal the way I think it needs to be EQ'd, I figure a de-esser is like phantom power. It only affects the thnigs that need it. Personally, I never use a de-esser. I make sure I don't need to.

What I mean is that the tracks without much sibilance problem simply won't trigger the de-esser, and even if they do trigger it the result will probably sound just fine. So put it ahead of the reverb on the same bus and don't worry about it.

Duly noted. Thanks!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the use of reverb as part of the overall "sound" of a record, or even a band. There are many artists, new and old, who use reverb heavily as part of their "sound." My Morning Jacket, Fleet Foxes, and Lord Huron are the first that pop into my mind. Band of Horses does a bit of it as well.

Also, in my opinion, when adding reverb to a track in a mix to give it depth or atmosphere, using pre-delay correctly is a HUGE part of the equation. Doing a bit of math and figuring out the value in milliseconds of an 8th note or quarter note dependant on the song's tempo is well worth the effort, although I guess you could just play with the pre-delay setting until the timing sounds right.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

PS - thanks to everyone who posted in this thread; I got some good new info & ideas from reading it.

I used the VC64 Channel Strip De-esser on some lead vocals today. What a great plugin - even let's you hear what it is removing.

Back