Reverb on drums together, or track by track?

How do you prefer to apply drum reverb?

• Reverb on each track individually

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Reverb on bus

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • I love reverb, I do both at the same time!

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

santiu

Rock-scientist
Just wondering what you guys out there tend to do when mixing drums for pop-rock stuff. Do you apply reverb to the individual tracks, or bus them together and apply reverb to that. Not looking for a rule to follow, just polling people's tastes :D

Reverb? What reverb?

Seriously, it depends upon the mix. It can go any number of ways, including no reverb on the drums whatsoever. It all depends upon the song and the mix. I play no favorites.

G.

Last edited:
It really does depend on the tracks, but I generally will get a lot of my reverb by taking the room tracks and smash the bejeezus out of them, then blend that in underneath. I usually buss the toms to a group and put a bit of my short verb on them. The kick usually gets a bit of the short verb. The snare generally gets the short verb and a fast fat plate - sometimes I add a bit off my longer verb. Sometimes I'll buss everything to a group and just verb that, or sometimes I do the above then buss and add a touch more plate, or short verb, or sometimes a tiny bit of the big verb - although I have drowned the buss in a big long verb - I did a Rob Thomas cover that required that - cant think of the name of the song, but it starts out with just the drums.

There are about a million different ways to go. teh best thing is listen to how the song sounds, think about how you want it to sound, figure out what's missing or excess, and either add or remove what's needed. It ain't rocket surgery.

Whatever sounds best! You'll find that throughout your journey in recording, "whatever sounds best" is the answer to any question you have: What mic do I use for...? What compression settings do I use for...? Etc.

However, in my case, I usually like to hear the sound of the room's reverb that is picked up from the room microphones or the overheads. I will usually only put reverb on a snare, and thats only a little bit.

Typically, a bit of reverb on the snare and a little to the overheads. (I don't have a good drum room, but am still fortunate to be able to record drums) Amount and whether or not any at all, depends on context.

I can't imagine putting verb on the buss unless it's for a rather specific effect... Who wants verb all over the kick? Who wants as much verb on the snare as on the floor tom? In most cases, I'm probably not even using the same verb on the snare as on the toms.

I would recommend putting reverb on the whole track until you can just hear it, and then turn it down a notch or reduce the room size until you're not quite sure it's there.

Then if one of the elements sounds two wet you can go back and do it again isolating only that element. ie. "The snare has too much verb," ok then you track the snare separately dry and then mute it in the collective track.

Make sense? This is just a guess. I'm not RAMI or anything.:cool:

Make sense? This is just a guess. I'm not RAMI or anything.:cool:

I AM RAMI and I don't know the answer. :eek:

I usually put some on the overheads and about the same amount on the snare, then about half of that on the kik. No reason or science behind it. I just tweak until it doesn't suck too bad. :D

i got tired of my crappy reverb plugins so i reamped a few rhythm section mixes in the art gallery where i work. then re-blend.

it sounds...

:cool:

Back