Reverb and Delay Suggestions

adam79

I'm looking to add a couple Reverb and Delay plugs to my arsenal. I've been reading up on these effects, and while there are versatile ones, most seem to excel on specific instruments.

I play all different types of rock and I'm curious to hear what you like to use on certain certain stuff. Or if you just setup a couple aux tracks with a short and long reverb and delay that is used on everything.

So ya, what're your favorites when it comes to clean and dirty guitar (both for acoustic and electric), vocals, drums, etc.

Here's a list of what I currently have (not including what comes stock w Pro Tools:

REVERB-

H-Reverb
Soundtoys Little Plate
UAD CS-1
UAD EMT 140
UAD Precision Reflection Engine

DELAY:

Waves H-Delay
Waves Super Tap
PSP 85
UAD CS-1
UAD Precision Delay Mod
UAD Precision Delay Mod Long

Thanks.

That's a pretty good arsenal. I think most guys will agree: If you notice the reverb and delay its too much, so having some nice plug-ins is certainly a benefit. I like to run a reverb through a delay sometimes, so there is no direct delay but rather an echo of just the reverb ( send into a send). Most of the time I keep it simple. Small room sounds.

I like to run a reverb through a delay sometimes, so there is no direct delay but rather an echo of just the reverb ( send into a send).

Run a reverb thru a delay.. that sounds interesting. How do you do this exactly? You set an Aux track with a reverb insert and send it to another Aux with an echo insert?

Are both set to 100% wet? What are the Aux track volumes set to?

It's hard to imagine what this sounds like without trying it first hand.. altho, I'm totally gonna try it after work today.

Thanks.

The danger is you have a huge arsenal of these, yet always fall back on a few, and probably ignore ones you could have used. I discovered the reverbs built into some of my instruments were available for use as a stand alone effect - these work on similar sounds better than the generic ones, I've found.

The danger is you have a huge arsenal of these, yet always fall back on a few, and probably ignore ones you could have used. I discovered the reverbs built into some of my instruments were available for use as a stand alone effect - these work on similar sounds better than the generic ones, I've found.

That's definitely true.. something times i forget they're even there.

As far as instruments w reverb, are you referring to the reverb on an amp? Which other instruments include their own?

Lots of the samplers and synths have their reverbs as separate entities. So not the guitar ones, but orchestral stuff and pianos - that kind of instrument.

I will often add a reverb on a delay throw bus. The length of the delay and the length of tail of the reverb are critical in not only keeping a mix from being muddy but also the vibe. If you are looking to add I might suggest picking up some that offer off the wall type effects since Soundtoys stuff and H series can be enough for most any "normal" verb/delay uses. Though Waves has the Abbey Road chambers and plates that are great especially for the low prices when on sale, i would suggest demo-ing stuff from Eventide, Boz Digital Labs, Plugin Alliance and Izotope who just bought Exponential Audio

All Waves reverbs extra 40% off ends today with code REVERB40

Last edited:
I like the Abbey Road plates, I don't have the Chambers. It's on just about every mix I do. It does like to use a bit of cpu but, I don't have a powerhouse computer and it works just fine never bogged down yet.

Love H Reverb and Little Plate.

My go to verbs.

Delay is pretty simple for me using the stock ones. But for super creepy modulated stuff, the Boz Imperial Delay 1.5 is really cool.

I like using the Abbey Road Plates a lot, it tends to work on vocals a lot but i like it on guitars too. I also use the OldSchoolVerb by Voxengo. It's a nice all around reverb. Last reverb i use is the stock Logic verb Space Designer.

Back