Recordings damage car speakers

-12 may well be too much. But we're missing another part of the equation before we can say that. His threshold is irrelevant unless we know how loud the track going into it was . In other words, if the level of his "un-mastered" file was very low, then -12 as a threshold might not be too low at all. My limiter is often set at -24 or even less because my tracks are very low before I "shmaster" them.

Of course, I don't know OZONE at all, but I was assuming we're talking about a limiter. If you're talking about something else, never mind what I'm blabbering about.

So I should cut in the 100-300 range even with the lower output?

You should have a spectrum analyzer in Ozone? (I have Ozone 5) you should see those frequencies peaking on the graph?

Its best to mix with your ears but I find visual EQs can be very handy. (Cubase 7 has them on every channel now.) Most mixes are flat from 100hz-5k then roll off gently, (just as a generalization)

-12 may well be too much. But we're missing another part of the equation before we can say that. His threshold is irrelevant unless we know how loud the track going into it was . In other words, if the level of his "un-mastered" file was very low, then -12 as a threshold might not be too low at all. My limiter is often set at -24 or even less because my tracks are very low before I "shmaster" them.

Of course, I don't know OZONE at all, but I was assuming we're talking about a limiter. If you're talking about something else, never mind what I'm blabbering about.

Yeah, you've got a point. And yes, we are talking about the limiter in Ozone. The threshold goes from 0.00 to -20.00. So he's limiting more than half of the signal. But you're right, it depends on how loud his track is going into the limiter. So now I don't know, but certainly listening to his sample, it is way overcompressed. Still, it didn't cause my speakers to explode. :D

So now I don't know, but certainly listening to his sample, it is way overcompressed. Still, it didn't cause my speakers to explode. :D
Yeah, mine either. :)

Having said all that above, you're probably right about his threshold being too low. I say this because he told us that he tries to record everything as hot as possible without clipping. This would lead me to believe that the threshold doesn't need to be very low for the limiter to kick in.

I will almost always HPF acoustic guitars to clear out some of the low frequency woofiness that steel string dreadnoughts, especially quality LOUD ones, are really good at producing..

That, and record at lower levels...

Car speaker damage.

It is likely that your car speakers were starting to deteriorate before you played your recordings through it.
Car speakers, and any speaker for that matter, deteriorate depending on the type of material that it is made of.
Foam surrounds deteriorate after several years, especially when subjected to heat and humidity, because the foam gets brittle and non compliant eventually turning to a powdery mess. Paper and rubber surrounds have proven to hold up the best over time.
Another factor causing speaker damage is driving speakers with underpowered amplifiers. Overdriving and amplifier leads to clipping which in effect is the same as running DC current through the coils. By so doing, the coils are under constant current and run at near 100% duty cycle. This allows for very little cooling or recovery time, eventually burning out the speaker coils which are nothing but very fine wire that react magnetically in or out of phase with the permanent magnet inside the speaker.
The last factor that I can think of is overdriving speakers with too much power than they are rated for . In this case the reaction of the overpowering drives the coils beyond its range of movement, eventually leading to the coils either shorting out against the magnet, or causing them to become mis-aligned. A mis-aligned coil will rum against the magnet and cause a 'grating' sound. This can be checked by carefully applying even pressure on the cone of the speaker and pushing gently in and out. The 'grating' sound can be heard if you place your ears close to the speaker and listen in a quiet environment.
It is always important to carefully match speakers to amplifiers and vice -versa. Extra care in speaker and amplifier selection will ensure that you get the most service out of your music reproduction system.

It is likely that your car speakers were starting to deteriorate before you played your recordings through it.
Car speakers, and any speaker for that matter, deteriorate depending on the type of material that it is made of.
Foam surrounds deteriorate after several years, especially when subjected to heat and humidity, because the foam gets brittle and non compliant eventually turning to a powdery mess. Paper and rubber surrounds have proven to hold up the best over time.
Another factor causing speaker damage is driving speakers with underpowered amplifiers. Overdriving and amplifier leads to clipping which in effect is the same as running DC current through the coils. By so doing, the coils are under constant current and run at near 100% duty cycle. This allows for very little cooling or recovery time, eventually burning out the speaker coils which are nothing but very fine wire that react magnetically in or out of phase with the permanent magnet inside the speaker.
The last factor that I can think of is overdriving speakers with too much power than they are rated for . In this case the reaction of the overpowering drives the coils beyond its range of movement, eventually leading to the coils either shorting out against the magnet, or causing them to become mis-aligned. A mis-aligned coil will rum against the magnet and cause a 'grating' sound. This can be checked by carefully applying even pressure on the cone of the speaker and pushing gently in and out. The 'grating' sound can be heard if you place your ears close to the speaker and listen in a quiet environment.
It is always important to carefully match speakers to amplifiers and vice -versa. Extra care in speaker and amplifier selection will ensure that you get the most service out of your music reproduction system.
Isn't this moreorless what 168 posts have concluded already ?

I'm a noob... but ... could rumble frequencies have caused this..? ... too much of them i mean... cos it has put a strain on some of my speakers when i forget to roll off frequencies below 30Hz

Back