Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Recordings damage car speakers

Thanks

Recordings damage car speakers

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello,
    My home recordings have damaged my car speakers. They still play, but are super crackly. When I first started recording, several years ago, I would put a ton of reverb on my songs because I did not know any better. Could massive amounts of reverb damage speakers? What other kind of things would ruin speakers if the songs are not clipping? Even now, my reverbless recordings seem to stress speakers more than professional recordings. Am I imagining that? What is going on? I have read books and watched videos of recording and mixing. These helped but did not answer some of my more basic questions, like this one.

My recordings consist of me playing the guitar with the other instruments programmed in with Sampletank. I play the guitar through USB with a PodXT Live effects machine. The interface is a MBox2. The monitors are M-Audio BX5a. I use ProTools 10 on Windows 7.

I am obviously a super amateur, but I have spent a lot of time with trial and error trying to figure this out. The problem is, if the trial damages the speakers, that is a problem in itself. I have tried recording with no effects and this made a big difference in clarity, and the recordings do not seem to damage anymore, although they are super flat and sometime do sound like they are stressing the speakers more than a professional recording. I would like to be able to give my songs to people without worrying about ruining their speakers. What is going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    simulation

RAMI Guest
    No, reverb, or any effects, have pretty much nothing to do with damaging speakers. Mix your songs so they sound how you think they should sound. Don't add or subtract effects in the name of saving speakers, one has nothing to do with the other. Speakers get damaged by excess volume, or excess bass. I guess excess treble can harm your tweeters, but I'm thinking it would harm your ears first.

Thanks
    Too much bass turned up too loud. But normally, it would be distorted and sound like crap long before it blows the speakers.

You either need to get a better stereo with more power and a subwoofer, or turn it down.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Thanks
    I'm sorry but this is one of the funniest threads we've had in a while.

RAMI Guest
    There are 3 in a row. The 2 under this one give this one a run for the money.

Thanks
    You can't blame anyone but yourself for having the volume knob pegged...

Thanks
    It could be a sign from God... not all of us are called to recording's altar...

Thanks
    All good stuff! I'll bet it has more to do with lack of control over sub frequencies that have bludgeoned your speakers into submission. The reverb just made the sparks created sound farther away.....

........ ^^^this is the reverb decay.

NEAR Far....
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

RAMI Guest
    Classic stuff Jimmy.......

Thanks
    Yep, proves the point quite well.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thread Information