recording distorted guitars

theD1CKENS

*insert clever title here
after reading an article about recording distorted guitars(by Slipperman, I think. excellent read. look it up) I had an "I get it!" moment...

...and it ruined the 'magic' of recording for me, in a sense.

after spending a looooong time with setting levels and tones and mic placement last night, we finally got a single (scratch)guitar track recorded. the problem is, the guitars don't sound as smooth as they did coming out of the amp. I don't know how to describe it, but it's kinda like some of the edges are a little too jagged(if that makes sense).

any general advice for getting the guitar to sound 'creamy' again? I tried the 'parametric sweep' but my(untrained) ears/comprehension skills just don't cut it. maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for? if it were an option, I'd post a reference, but it's just not possible right now

p.s. we have crappy monitors, no room treatment, etc. basically a mic on an amp in a bedroom.

it's not worth rerecording right now. it's just a reference track. honestly, the only reason I'm messing with it at all is for practice. compressors, EQs, whatever, all these things are just now starting to make sense to me

based on what I've read, it SEEMS like taking a notch out in the EQ here and there would do the trick, I'm just having a hard time applying it

...or maybe it's like the first time I heard my voice recorded. "Jesus, is THAT what I sound like?"

The other thing is that you really only should start with about 1/2 the gain that sounds good live.

I have what I thought was a great tone dialed in. I recorded it and it sucked. Then I tweaked knobs and tried a lot less gain than normal, and it sounded fine. I didn't suddenly get better overnight. Half the amount of gain I normally used. Double record note for note, or try a doubler plugin on the track. I know the double recording works very well. Most of the time a four piece (2 guitars, bass, and drums) will have like 4 to 8 guitar parts on a song. If you're Alexi you can do this note for note in perfect time.

Then I've played with the +6 db spike in the EQ around 850 Hz for that half-cocked wah sound.

actually, I did use way less gain than normal...waaaaaay less. I don't think that's the problem. I hate it, but it's looking more and more like a room or mic problem.

or monitors.

or me

...and I forgot to use the Less Suck plug-in. I'll fix it in the mix later

Or just use a good modeler or modeling plug-in. No one will be able to tell the difference anyway. Sometimes miking an amp is like beating your head against the wall. It feels so good to stop.

I wish they had a universal "Talent Plug-in" where you could dial in talent from sucky up to the guitar god/goddess of your choice depending upon genre. Gets rid of those pesky mistakes, improves tone, etc. You'd still want the "talent suck" for your talented egotistical bandmate who drank your beer.

I'm not anti-modeling or anything, but I prefer to mic an amp. it's a psychological thing, I think.

having said that, when we recorded the guitar, I ran a clean track into a chorus pedal, which I THINK is true bypass, and fed that into a modeler. the original plan was to mix the mic'd and modeled tracks. I don't think we're gonna use the 'modeled' track tho

late last night, we doubled(then tripled, but no modeling this time) the original track. everything seems to be coming together. the anomolies between the tracks makes for some 'interesting' interactions. definately going to be doing a lot more doubled and tripled tracks. gonna need a bigger board

gonna need a bigger board

My thoughts exactly

Were-Gonna-Need-a-Bigger-Boat.jpg

it SEEMS like taking a notch out in the EQ here and there would do the trick, I'm just having a hard time applying it

Subtractive EQing is very helpful I've read, I'm still applying it to my own recordings. I use to add frequency, but it made everything sound to harsh. There's my two cents, hope you get the sound your yearning for.

I haven't added any EQ yet(all subtractive), and probably won't. layering seems to work wonders, but I'm a little worried about 'using up too much frequency range?', I guess? I don't have any way to analyze my frequencies, so a great tone today may mean I have to retrack everything later.

also, had another 'epiphony' when I found the 'Less Suck' button, but on the board, it's labeled PAN! I'll be sure to abuse the hell out of this little feature

Right on man. Panning is awesome, I've yet to try the layering perhaps I'll try that today! The frequency part still has me a bit puzzled as well. Hope all ends up well, post some finished tracks when you get it the way you like it.

this is MOST DEFINATELY my problem!!!! my AMP is no where near my EAR!

STUPID!

I must be picking up room sounds between amp placement and where I'm standing when listening to the amp. the amp isn't on the floor, but it's nowhere near ear level. problem solved. on to new, more discouraging problems

Why not post a clip so we have a point of reference what dist type and tone you're talking about.

Last edited:
Why not post a clip so we have a point of reference what dist type and tone you're talking about.

not really an option right now. the only internet available to me right now is (GASP!) dial-up

yea, people still use it, just not on purpose

Back