Reaper vs. Reason vs. Pro Tools?

andrewkim9711

hi guys, I'm choosing either one of the three DAW's, Reaper, Reason and Pro Tools.

I know that pro tools is more universal these days and many people say it's more of a high end software, but it's too expensive, while Reaper does the same job done.

I decided to get the Reaper up until a week ago, when I found out that the MIDI keyboard I'm getting, (Axiom Pro 61) is not compatible with Reaper ( for the controllers, not the keyboard itself )

so I thought I should get a different one.

so which one is better overall between the three?

reaper is not usually stated with harware mfgs. I bet it still is compatible because its just a usb general midi interface. Just because its not on the list doesn't mean its not compatible.

as for pro tools its easy to map and its easy to track in, but lacks some advanced editing that reaper and cuebase/nuendo offers.

as for pro tools its easy to map and its easy to track in, but lacks some advanced editing that reaper and cuebase/nuendo offers.

This is more of a personal question, but what editing capabilities do you mean? I've used Pro Tools for years and I've only ever found it to get the job done right for me. I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, I'm genuinely curious. :D

As to the OP, I'd say that Reaper should be fine. As stated by drtechno, it's probably compatible, but not "supported."

If you absolutely HAVE to buy a different DAW as opposed to a different keyboard though, I'd suggest Reason just because I know how hard Pro Tools is to get into (it took me two years of Avid training to get my Operator level certification, and only after that do I feel completely comfortable with it). If you have the money and REALLY want to work with something that most professional studios work with, then I guess you could go for it. The only reason you'd really NEED to do Pro Tools is if you knew you'd be swapping files between yourself and other big studios often. I'm also not too fond of the stock plug-ins that PT comes with. I feel like I've seen better plugs in Reaper and many other DAWs that are half the price that worked better for me (probably why I mix with primarily 3rd party plug-ins now).

But ultimately, it's up to you to decide. So I'd suggest that along with what you're reading on here, maybe going to the manufacturer's site for each DAW and reading about it, and maybe watch some videos on each and their capabilities. =]

Reaper is free to try (an unlimited version) then very cheap to buy. I'd start there. If you reach some sort of limit, then you can work out what it is that's limiting you and research an alternative, if appropriate.

Reason and Reaper are completely different programs. What kind of music will you make? If you plan to make electronic music (trance, techno, psymbient synth etc) with MIDI and synth, Reason is exceptional with its magnificent emulated rack units. You can route everything and it is very realistic in terms of emulating all the knobs etc. If you're making other kinds of music however, Reaper is awesome. As for Pro Tools, I don't know, never tried it.

i plan on making music like SongeLeReveur if you know him. here's a link of one of his cover for a game : Super Mario Bros - Underground Groove (Band Version) - YouTube

i'm going to record one instrument at a time and put them all together into the DAW and tweak(?) them a little bit to get it to a better resolution I guess. And I'm going to use the MIDI controller as many sound effects and just piano, string, etc for the songs.

is reason still a good choice or should I just go with reaper?

is there any quality difference? or is it not possible to do the thing i want to do with reason?

As pointed out already... download the trial version of Reaper and try it. Don't overthink it - check the cheap option before you splash out big bucks on something else. Bear in mind there's a large learning curve with ALL DAW software... it's and inherently complex thing to do, but Reaper's fairly easy to understand.

I'm sure they all are, if you put in the appropriate yardage, however.

i plan on making music like SongeLeReveur if you know him. here's a link of one of his cover for a game : Super Mario Bros - Underground Groove (Band Version) - YouTube

i'm going to record one instrument at a time and put them all together into the DAW and tweak(?) them a little bit to get it to a better resolution I guess. And I'm going to use the MIDI controller as many sound effects and just piano, string, etc for the songs.

is reason still a good choice or should I just go with reaper?

is there any quality difference? or is it not possible to do the thing i want to do with reason?

Then you want a DAW appropriate for audio recording. Go Reaper dood.

It is not that 'Reason' is not capable. From what I know it is just written for more of a MIDI type of artist. Read up on the specific DAW's and get a feel what is right for you. Reaper will be the easiest/cheapest route to try.

@andrewkim9711 from the link you have there, Reason, Reaper or PT will do you. PT is probably overkill because of the pro aspect.
Reason is a do all app now. With the integration of the SSL 9000K mixer you can record all the audio you want plus do all the electronic beats you can imagine. New plug-ins are called Rack Extensions or RE in Reason, they are thoroughly "vetted" before being allowed into the Reason rack and more come out every month. Reason is rock sold as far as stability and mine has never crashed.
From what I hear Reaper will do you good as well but I can only speak from limited exposure.

Back