Rap Vocal Mixing Tips: Come and listen to what I got so far.

sdp530

Hey this is C Dog from Shut Down Productions out of Northern California www.geocities.com/shutdownproductions/ we have been recording vocals for probably about a year now and we are always looking for good tips and advice on gettin the best quality we can out of our situation. Let me explain to you what we have. Our recording area is a 4' X 6' booth that runs to an 8' ceiling. It is built with 2" thick wood and every crack is sealed. It is also lined in professional studio foam, all walls and ceiling. We have a blue baby bottle mic that runs into a focusrite voicemaster platinum preamp. From the preamp it runs into our Korg d16xd mixer. We do some basic editing on the Korg and run it into our computer running Cubase SX3. In Cubase we do most of the editing and effects. I have a link to a single verse in a song that I would like some comments on as far as how I can make the vocals sound more mixed in with the beat. My beat is only one track so it makes it more difficult to mix it but that is the only thing I have to work with. Here is a link to the verse call Endless Ammunition http://briefcase.yahoo.com/kirchhogfarm@sbcglobal.net
It does have some explicit lyrics so don't be frightened, hehe. We are doing our best to utilize the best out of our equipment but there is only so much the manuals can tell us. I would appreciate any recording, mixing, eqing, effect tips that anyone can offer. My ears are gettin a little burn't out so hopefully yours can help me :D

thanks
C Dog

not bad. I like the track. Uh I would leave everything the way you have it. Do you like cubase? Where you from homie. You like Tech N9ne? Nice flows

Last edited:
I really don't have any experience with rap, so keep that in mind with these comments.

Overall, the sound is pretty good. The mixing on the vocals does need some work though. When I listened to it, because of the double tracking and the way they were panned, it sort of felt like two people were moving their heads around in front of each of my ears while they were singing...if that makes any sense.

I would try playing around with the levels of the two vocal tracks. It sounds like both tracks are the same level right now and panned. Try keeping at least one of the tracks more in the middle and reducing the level of the other track in combination with some panning to get it to sit in there.

Also, how close to the mic are you? Maybe back off from the mic a little bit and add a little reverb. The vocals sound tight but a little too enclosed if you get what I'm saying. Good luck.

Back