raising gain all the way just to reach -18dbfs?

mixaholic

how come on my presonus firepod, i have to increase the gain input almost all the way to where its picking up alot of background and preamp noise even the slightest movement it will pick it up? anyone else use the presonus firepod for recording vocals? thanx

You really need to sing louder. If you have to turn the mic up so loud that it is picking up the sound of your neighbors TV almost as loud as it's picking up your voice, that means your voice isn't loud enough.

I don't have a Firepod, but I do have another Presonus device. I have the same situation when I use a dynamic mic into any of the preamp inputs. I have to turn on the "boost" AND turn the gain way up. Doesn't happen with condenser type mics, though. I'm not complaining. I don't use dynamics often. Just FYI

i'm actually not singing that low. how do people record lower parts and it sounds clear without background noise?

mixaholic said:
i'm actually not singing that low...
Uh, yes you are. (Unless something is broken..
There is simply not much to it. You are presenting a given s/n ratio to the mic. (the wanted signal vs background noise)
The options are get quieter background, louder source, and/or source closer.

Presuming here you're using a directional mic?

...Singing into the correct side..?

It happens. ;)

I use two firepods daisy chained, and i have not experiened this problem. I use dynamics for lots of stuff and a condensor for vocals and some guitar. And with all the mics, the firepod is usually really hot, just a few notches and ive got plenty of signal even for really soft vocals.

Other than the complete pain in the ass it was to establish the Pods toghether as an "agrigate device" Ive been very happy with them. Good sound, tons of options and no (noticable) latency

mixaholic said:
how come on my presonus firepod, i have to increase the gain input almost all the way to where its picking up alot of background and preamp noise even the slightest movement it will pick it up? anyone else use the presonus firepod for recording vocals? thanx
What lind of mic are you using and have you tested it with more than one mic? You might have a bum mic on your hands. Also test in more than one XLR jack on the Firepod just to make sure you don't have a bad input channel.

If you're using a condensor requiring phantom power, turn the phantom power on for that channel. Make sure the phantom power supply in the FP is actually working.

Other than that, the Firepod has a rated input impedance on its pres of 1.3kΩ. The ideal rated impedance for a dynamic mic plugged into that pre would be somewhere in the 130-260Ω range (the rating on a condensor won't matter so much). If you have a dynamic mic that's rated quite far above that range, you could be choking your signal into the pre.

G.

i use a condenser mic (shure ksm27) to record vocals with. can the xlr cables have anything to do with it? cause i use pretty cheap ones i think called z cabels. chris how far do you normally turn the gain knob on say input 3 till your vocals reach -18dfs (0dbvu). how many click do u turn it to the right? thanks to all u guys who gave me feedback. preciate it :D

Actually there is one other part of the equation here. That is if 'no' room tone is expect, then a very little goes a long way to killing that particular picture.

Every one of these variables are completely relative.

How about a little vocal womb'? Sometimes that's needed to get it back to 'good-to-go.

..Again, depending on where good enough might land. :)

ok thanks. Glen i tested each input and all of them do the same thing. i have to raise it up real high just to reach -18dbfs. my shure mic never been dropped or nothing so i dont know why it would be messed up. u think its the firepod? i hope not cause its brand new but i doubt that its the firepod.

mixaholic said:
ok thanks. Glen i tested each input and all of them do the same thing. i have to raise it up real high just to reach -18dbfs. my shure mic never been dropped or nothing so i dont know why it would be messed up. u think its the firepod? i hope not cause its brand new but i doubt that its the firepod.
Did you turn on the phantom power and make sure that's working? Also, do you have any other microphones to test that against?

G.

Have you checked the settings in software? There are gain settings in your DAW and the control panel that comes with the Firepod (I think it comes with a control panel, right?). Anyway, you might be inadvertantly setting the gain too low downstream, creating the need to max out your preamp.

I usually on need about 3 clicks to the right with my tube condensor for PLENTY of input, and about 4 to five for a dynamic, depending on what its recording of course, if anything i might complain that the firepod for me is to hot, so you might want to check out the device itself cuz ive never had a problem. The presonus tech support people are VERY VERY helpful and dotn treat you like your stupid, i called them when i first got it about five times cause i couldnt sync up the two with my computer.

yeah the sofware setting for sure, im not conected to mine at the moment as im not at home, or i would tell you what my setting were.

mixaholic said:
when u say softwares settings what do u mean cause i use acid
I think they are talking about the firepod control panel (the software control panel, that is)

the only settings the firepod control panel comes with are (sample rate:which is 44khz, clock source:which is internal, and latency:which is 10 ms) that's all the firepod comes with. and chris when u say 3 clicks u mean (starting from the gain all the way down) u just move it up till it clicks 3 times right. man something must be wrong cause i have to move mine almost till i cant move it no more and the firepod is brand new

Back