Questions about Apply Widener

RayneOfHavik

Sup guys, im new here. this site is the shit. anyways, i mix using waves plugins, and i love idea of the sound that the s1 stero imager gives for widening. Mixing in pro tools 9. now i have applied this plugin a couple different test ways, one, applying it to the same chain as my eq compressor etc, as well as through an auxillery. now i know in theory through an auxillery is recommended, but applying it to the main chain sounds better to me, but is this wrong? (i do not want to clog my mix, and have things be lost in my mix applying it this way). but blending it with an aux adds too much of a "clouded airy fatness" to my vocal... ive thrown an eq along with the imager to try n erase whatever airy fat gain it has given me, and i know initially thats what the plugin sorta does.. basically my main question is, is there a more efficient way to get this effect applied, and still keep my essential clairity in my vocal? perhaps trying a doubler? thanks guys.

****also i was thinking maybe its the transients in my recording room preventing me to use the plugin to its correct potential. i have a small home studio. nothing fancy, below is a picture.

Studio1.jpg

Last edited:
I hope all that 'acoustic foam' is hiding bass traps in your mixing room ... :facepalm: I see one monitor backed into a corner. Even though its a small monitor with probably no real bass characteristics, you do not have an optimal mixing setup.

Well I haveto work with what I got. The foam is more for absorning some of the pc grindin away in the bg. As well as isolator. The insullation sucks so the room by default is echoey. . . N there's just ro room for everything.. like I said.. nothing fancy. Here's the result of the mix I was referring to. Sorry if its not ur genre of choice. Critque on my widener please..

Attachments

• Leave Them Behind (Rayne Mixed).mp3
    4.4 MB · Views: 9
Well I haveto work with what I got. The foam is more for absorning some of the pc grindin away in the bg. As well as isolator. The insullation sucks so the room by default is echoey. . . N there's just ro room for everything.. like I said.. nothing fancy. Here's the result of the mix I was referring to. Sorry if its not ur genre of choice. Critque on my widener please..

There is some comb-filtering going on in that lead female vocal. That is what is taking away your clarity. And that could possibly be what you are describing as "clouded airy fatness".

You know what will solve all of your problems? Avoiding any "wideners" at all costs. They use phase manipulation to attempt to create a wider stereo image. But this has the affect of reducing clarity and causing some phase cancellation when summing to mono.

Back