Question about reversing fades

Rock Star 87

i have 2 live concert .wav files and in the last 3 or so seconds, the first one fades out, and the 2nd one fades in. is it possible to level out all the volumes so that they just stream into one another. i tried normalize, which just makes that part louder. come to think of it, what the hell does normalize actually do anyway. as always, any suggestions are dearly appreciated.

You want to do a crossfade of the two sections to make it sound like there's no big gap between songs. What are you using? Digital? What program? Analog? What medium? Need more info to help.

i worded it wrong, no crossfade. i just want the fades to disappear, make the faded parts the same volume as the rest of the .wav. it's all digital, using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.

faderbug said:
no
you can't
Yes, you can - kinda.

You would apply the inverse of the fade curve to bring the fade part back up, but there's a limit to how much would be usable, or listenable.

If it's a very slow gradual fade (like 3 seconds or so), you can probably recover about 75 or 80% of the music before you start getting into really crappy low resolution sound. If it's a pretty drastic fade over that period, recovery will drop to around 40 or 50% of the fade.

If the final levels are well matched, you may be able to successfully tie them together, even if the first and last couple of seconds are lower quality. You have nothing to lose by trying it, except some time.

Back