Pseudo MS technique

Okay, so I came up with this technique that is based off the MS Stereo micing technique (or so I like to think I came up with it...but of course i'm probably completely wrong :p ). I've used this when I haven't been able to actually sit in on the tracking section and want to thicken the vocals up a bit. Please, people, try it out and let me know what you think about it. I think it sounds kinda cool. PS, this is done through a DAW by the way

Take a vocal track and copy it twice more so you have 3 total tracks of the vocal part.
Press the phase reverse button on the second track to flip it and then pan the first track hard left and the second one hard right
The 2nd track and the 3rd one will be slightly out of phase so nudge the third track over a few milli seconds until it sounds to your liking (but not too far or you'll get some delay/chorus or whatever)
Mix the levels to where it fits into the mix (possibly link the 1st and 2nd tracks faders so they stay the same) and try panning in the first two until you like it.

Again, let me know what you think. :cool:

Back