ProTools Converter ... Can I open a ProTools file in another DAW, like Cubase?

JonPaulP

I wanted to know if there is a way I can open a ProTools project file in another DAW, like Cubase. Is there some type of converter?

Thanks!

The short answer is no, but if your just swapping tracks back and forth it's easier to just export things as you go.

You can, but the software is very expensive. Cant remember what it is called though. Something one? Had an 'A' in it I think. IDK.

wav files only take a few minutes to export/import.

Be careful though. If you're just exporting the wave files, they mightn't re-align themselves properly in the other DAW, due to them starting at different points. For example, if you have a vocal that starts at 30 seconds in pro tools, and you just export that from pro tools and import it into your other DAW, it will show up at 0 seconds and be out of time. So before you export your audio files, you should make them all the same length (inserting silence where there is no audio)...

A quick way to do this is to select from the first track to the last track, from the very start of the song, to about 10 seconds after the last one ends, and then go to the Region menu and click consolidate. Then you can export them, and import them and they should all line up.

Thanks a lot everyone! I don't own ProTools, but I have Cubase and was sent ProTools files.

So AATranslator is the only program that can help with this?

I know, friggen crazy huh? Though I can imagine it is quite a complex procedure to convert project files between DAW's. Much easier and cheaper to just pay the guy with the Protools project, to export the wav files.

Thanks a lot everyone! I don't own ProTools, but I have Cubase and was sent ProTools files.

So AATranslator is the only program that can help with this?

Tell them to send .wav files instead. It's going to make it easier for the both of you. If you don't know what DAW someone else is using, it's always the best option anyways.

Back