Project Studio Monitoring System EQ Woes

mark4man

MoonMix Studios
You know…

I’m really at my wits end, here. Everything I produce in my project studio sounds too bassy when played on other (less costly) systems. I could draw an obvious conclusion, here…that my studio’s monitoring system isn’t properly calibrated across the audio spectrum, but I know that’s not the case.

In fact…it’s the opposite…I’ve adjusted the low end upward, for god sakes…so I’m not EQ’ing in too much low end in my mixes.

I’m piping the main outs from my AI (Layla 24/96) to an Onkyo TX-8511 Discreet Output (200W) power amp, which powers two Pioneer S-H253B-K Monitors. It’s a beautiful sounding system; & when I play my mixes on audiophile systems…they sound equally (or more) beautiful.

When I play them on bookshelf stereo systems, they sound too bassy.

I could draw another conclusion…that bookshelf stereo systems sound too muddy…but I know that’s not the case either…because, when I use my studio DAW’s PC to play my favorite CDA’s (which is hooked up to the aforementioned Layla/Onkyo/Pioneer system)…& then play those same CDA’s on bookshelf stereo systems…the EQ is more or less the same ! (the only difference then being quality.)

This has been going on for months, now. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Am I using the wrong equipment? Am I going to have to now go out & get a multi thousand dollar studio monitoring system? The system I have now was purchased because it had a nice quality, neutral sound. I'm almost at the the CD replication phase; & I want it (my CD) to sound decent on all systems.

I’m not getting this…& could use some help.

Thanks,

mark4man

I'm a newb to studio design, but it sounds like your room not the monitors.a small room not treated can have huge dips and peaks in the lower end.I could be way off though,I'm not familar with your equipment.But I have the same problem of not having any clue of whats happening in the low end till I play the mix on a few different systems.hopefully I will soon fix this problem.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html
A great read.pay special attention to the Bass Traps-overview section.

Yep it's the room. Also how did you test calibration of your monitors in your room?

Listen to your mixes while walking around you room, noting how the bass response changes. If it changes a lot, that's a pretty good sign your room has issues. It could be that your head is in a spot that disguises problems with your mixes.

royharper3220 & mshilarious,

Thanks.

On the "standing waves in a small room" thing...woudn't that have the tendency of tricking me into believing I have too much bass?

Thanks again,

mark4man

It depends on where you are in the room, some bass frequencies may appear louder and some may disappear. I've got the same problem. It's most likely the room, which is the best thing to fix, but also the most difficult. If you can't fix that you can eq your monitors more, add a sub, or just listen to a lot of good quality CDs in that room on those monitors and get used to how things sound in there. If you're not planning on it, I would also advise sending your recordings elsewhere to get mastered before you replicate.

mark4man said:
royharper3220 & mshilarious,

Thanks.

On the "standing waves in a small room" thing...woudn't that have the tendency of tricking me into believing I have too much bass?

Thanks again,

mark4man

Standing waves will cause peaks and nulls. It all depends on where your head is located as to whether you hear an increase or decrease.

ya know....having a messy room isnt always the worst thing....natural bass traps... i will say that any eq on the monitors starts to get dangerous because you are putting an eq on there that may not be on other systems....and another thing...those bookshelf systems have the bass and treble turned up on them from the get-go due to speaker design....then most people usually jack up the bass and treble again. thats why you want studio monitors as flat as you can

everybody...

Thanks again.

OK...so I move that system into the studio office; & replace it with what?

I almost at one point went with Event TR6's...but they're near-fields; & I've always been paranoid about near-fields after reading what Bob K. had to say about them in his book ("with few exceptions, near-field monitors will not be found in a professional mastering room".)

So...when ME's talk about studio quality, flat response stereo loudspeaker monitors, what mfg.'s & models are they talking about?

mark4man

Back