Pro Tools To Sonar

GamblersChoice

I have a friend who is recording across the state in the Philly area in a project studio that uses Pro Tools. He has reached the limits of his budget, and, since I knew his father years ago, and am now unemployed with time on my hands, I volunteered to mix and master his tracks here in Johnstown for free.

I use Sonar X1. Is there any way to get the tracks from Pro Tools to Sonar in a format similar to the Cakewalk bundles, or is there something else we could/need to do to get these multi track songs from Pro Tools to Sonar with minimal problems?

I can transfer large files over the web through an ftp site, been doing that for years, so file size is not a problem.

Any help?

Later
Albert

I've seen 3 max. I don't think I've ever seen 5! :eek:

You're going to have to transfer each track individually as wav. files.

In the past I have been on other forums, and found that some people will log in, read the posts in the category they might be interested in and then log out. I wanted to present my question to the entire community, and I do not know of any other way.

Sorry if I broke some community law, but if you think about it, would a person who likes to answer newbie questions visit the mixing forum?

By the way, thanks for the answers. I thought this would be the case, one track at a time, and I am hoping there will be no timestamp problems, but I was hoping there might be a "saveas" option I was not aware of.

If the lead guitar was recorded as a clip, I am not sure it will drop into the sonar track where it was recorded or if it will just load up at the beginning of the song...but I quess I find out.

Later
Albert

In Pro Tools, save the project with a new name, select all the tracks, consolidate the tracks, export the newly consolidated tracks (in bold, I think) from the clip list. They will all start from the same point at the beginning of the project so you can easily line them up in any DAW.

HR generally answers all the questions.

We've all been here a while; you don't need to tell us to think about it. :thumbs up:

Yep, I'm pretty sure each track is the only way. It's not too bad. Unless you have over 50 tracks and a slow computer, it should be very quick, actually.

I would have helped, but I since I love it when someone comes in here, preaches to us, and then tells us to "think about it", I decided not to. :)

and I am hoping there will be no timestamp problems, but I was hoping there might be a "saveas" option I was not aware of.

Whether you manually bounce or consolidate, just make sure that you are on grid mode and you always make sure the selection starts at zero.
Of course that means many of your tracks will have a load of silence at the start, but they'll all line up perfectly. :)

Back