preparing file for mastering - acoustic guitar

asulger

I'm starting some pieces for my next CD and want to have this one professionally mastered. Please give me some advice on how much I need to do on the recording side before sending the files off to be mastered.
I've read Bob Katz's tips for preparing files, as well as being a long time reader /sometime contributor to Home Recording. The best thing for the musician / recordist is to do as little as possible processing, correct? With this in mind, I've got a raw track (1.5 minutes, 2.5 megs) that I hope you folks can advise me on. It's a 12-string recorded into 2 mics, stereo pre, 2 tracks, no mixing, 24bit 44khz.
Can I leave these tasks for the mastering engineer:
adding delay or reverb and compression? (I think it's dry)
EQ? (I think it's a little bassy)
doing the head and tails?
balance the volume? (The left channel is not as loud as the right)

Here's a sample clip - the middle of the piece was removed:
Tune in Eb

Anything requiring a creative decision or artistic license (like delays and reverbs and such) are typically best done at the mix stage, although I'm sure you can find a mixer/masterer who could help you out with that kind of thing. The mastering engineer will do the heads/tails, adjust for best frequency balance, compress, adjust/match levels, etc. You would probably need to give a special note if you want Left and Right matched, since it could possibly be assumed that you recorded it like that on purpose.

Back