Pre compression and compression settings

y-kause

I have a m-audio mobile pre which doesn't have a compressor or eq.
I was wondering before recording can i use the compressor in adobe audition side rack as a compressor for my vocals?

I usually use the same compressor after the vocals anyway

also what is a good compression setting for vocals?

I use 4:1 or 5:1
5 attack 50 release
thresh -10
no gain

I have a m-audio mobile pre which doesn't have a compressor or eq.
I was wondering before recording can i use the compressor in adobe audition side rack as a compressor for my vocals?

I'm assuming that the compressor in adobe audition is a software plugin.

In that case, it won't affect the recording.

also what is a good compression setting for vocals?

It depends.

I'm assuming that the compressor in adobe audition is a software plugin.

In that case, it won't affect the recording.

It depends.

Exactly what i was thinking.Plug ins only apply to post recording.If you want to compress the signal beforehand you'll need a hardware compressor like a rackmout or an effects processor that includes a compressor.

I just went through the same thing.My Korg 8 channel digital recorder has a compressor setting i can use to record with.I got decent results with it in the past but since i started recording on the pc i'm finding out i have to rethink how i'm doing everything.

I'm probably gonna give my old PA rackmount compressor a try soon and maybe i can go into my 8 track's compressor and line out of that into my interface.Time to dig out some of the owners manuals and start trying out a few things.

i tried that compression setting and it was crisp n clear thnx

and yea i think i'll have to get a rackmount i feel i get decent mixes without one im mastering some trax now n to me perfect

i tried that compression setting and it was crisp n clear thnx

and yea i think i'll have to get a rackmount i feel i get decent mixes without one im mastering some trax now n to me perfect

The one and only benefit of compressing on the way in is to improve your s/n ratio at the converter. With modern 24 bit and even good 16 bit converters it isn't necessary.

You can ruin a great once in a lifetime performance by compressing it badly on the way in.

You can get the same results by compressing after the recording and you can tweak it and revise it until it is just right in the mix.

i like to always compress on the way in definitely on drums as well just so there is no clipping and therefore i can have a louder recording.

The one and only benefit of compressing on the way in is to improve your s/n ratio at the converter.
I disagree with this.
You can ruin a great once in a lifetime performance by compressing it badly on the way in.
While totally agreeing here.
I would consider sometimes clipping a pre or a limiter on percussion, but always for the tone of it. Ninety nine times out of a hundred compression on the way in is simply to get 'closer to finished sooner, rather than protection.
And granted, at your own risk. :)

i like to always compress on the way in definitely on drums as well just so there is no clipping and therefore i can have a louder recording.

No, there are better ways. Like recording quieter, and using a li
iter on the master buss when you are done.

I personally like to use a comp when I do my vocals, to give me more confidence. That way, when I get loud in real life, I don't get as loud in my headphones, so I don't get weak and shy and scared people can gear me. But that's just me. I know there's mic control, but then I'd still know I was louder. It's just a mental thing.

On a song I'm working on now, the best tone in the entire thing is a keyboard that sounded horribly cheesy on it's own driven into the converter waaaaaaaay past any kind of clipping you might call tastefull.

Aside from that, if I'm ever in on a session where a Distressor is available I won't hesitate to use the heck out of that for vocals n' things on the way in.

I just like to have as many variables as possible eliminated before mix time. It's how I work. So yeah, I'll compress (and do any number of other things) on the way in.

Every now and then it will bind me in an unpleasent way at mix time. But more often than that it moves the project forward faster with a more secure feeling of being on the right track.

When you're starting out, yeah.

By the time you know the in's and out's, it's not dangerous at all.

Last edited:
Aside from that, if I'm ever in on a session where a Distressor is available I won't hesitate to use the heck out of that for vocals n' things on the way in.

I just like to have as many variables as possible eliminated before mix time. It's how I work. So yeah, I'll compress (and do any number of other things) on the way in.

If there is a distressor or A.N.Other piece of high end gear available for tracking but not mixing then I'd do the same.

However, there is a world of difference in using a quality piece of outboard for the vibe and buying a budget hardware unit because you feel you should compress on the way in.

In the lower price ranges just about any plug in will kick the ass of the budget outboard compressor, unless it has a specific mojo for your specific track.

I'm just saying in general, I prefer to not track with a compressor. There is no technical benefit (other than workflow) to compressing on the way in.

You can compress after the recording with your plug in or outboard box of choice. Doing this means you have the opportunity to audition a number of different units/plugs to find one that suits the performance and production. To do this on the way in would need a really patient singer!

Exactly what i was thinking.Plug ins only apply to post recording.If you want to compress the signal beforehand you'll need a hardware compressor like a rackmout or an effects processor that includes a compressor.
Actually some DAWs do allow you to record through an input bus so the tracks are recorded with effects. This can be usefull if you know what you want in tracking and don't want to tie up the system with a bunch of CPU hungry VSTs during mixing. It's akin to tracking with effects althoug if you are using a compressor to avoid cliping the converters it won't work because all of the effects happen post conversion but pre track recording

In the lower price ranges just about any plug in will kick the ass of the budget outboard compressor, unless it has a specific mojo for your specific track.
Not necessarily
FMRs RNC, RNLA (can be had for under $100) and ART PRO VLA II (got one for $158) ,especially retubed, are examples of very nice tracking compressors that cost less than many plugins (even if you buy new and not used as I did)

Doing this means you have the opportunity to audition a number of different units/plugs to find one that suits the performance and production. To do this on the way in would need a really patient singer!

Or an engineer who really knows what his gear does :D

compressing on the way in is really more of a choice than a necessity in 24 bit recording systems. but if you know you're going to compress anyway, you know what sound you want and what hardware compressor will give you that sound and are confident that you can set the compressor right then why not.

one might even argue that if you don't know which type of compressor to use on the vocal even after the fact and have to audition a bunch, you're not ready to record because you haven't got a clear vision of how the track is going to sound. Either that or you haven't got a clear idea of what your compressors do.
While this is a very good way of finding out/Learning what your compressors do by running the same signal through many different ones, it really shouldn't be something you have to do on every track every time. Once you know your equipment/plugs, it should be fairly obvious which is right for the job IMO.

As with all things recording, there are no hard and fast rules and using tracking compressors is not a no no at all. Using any compressor at any stage during or post tracking without knowing why, How to set it and what it actually does is more than likely a foolish waste of time however.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Summit tube comps on my two main channels going in and I always use them. Those things are beyond great. You can go from track to track without the need to adjust them, they always sound right.

Back