Post-production Depression - anyone experience this?

Well, it's good to know I'm not entirelly alone on this. I tend to see things like crawdad does. I'm still not out of it, but I'm not so depressed over the depression.

MAN!

This is SUCH a relief to hear! Especially eljay's comment about putting some distance between you and a project. I just quit my band (whose CD I was recording) when they decided I was taking too long to mix.

The truth was, I just couldn't go near it. Their demands of my time (they wouldn't let us play any gigs until it was done) just completely stressed me out, and I was afraid of the recording! I have very high personal standards, and I woulnd't let something go (ie, be DONE) if there was something left I knew I could make "right."

That said, I've only "played" with recording since, and I'm having a lot of fun!!!!

Thank you toorglick for starting this thread and thank you everyone else for chiming in. I feel a lot less guilty about "punking out" on this project now. I guess I just hit my wall and it was time for a change.

Oh well, back to life's other distractions...

Johnboy

How about near-end-project depression. You almost finished, but you just can't get it to sound right. You get frustrated and just want it to be finished. Then you listen to some good commercial mixes, and it just gets worse. :(

Yeah, that happens too. As a matter of fact, I really had to push myself to finish the demo. Not that I wasn't doing 110%, but burnout was settling in. Damn, it was only 7 or 8 tracks, too. Even now I keep re-mixing the thing because it still lacks something.

Now that I look back, though, I was trying to put together an avant garde project for 6 months and doing this at the same time. Prior to that I was in a band for several years and near the end we had problems. I left and went on to try the new project and cut the demo without a break. Duh, of course I'm burnt.

I can't see signatures even though I have them turned on, so I'd thought I'd post the link to some of the tunes that inspired this thread:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/thefoolintheattic_music.htm

I haven't really gotten depressed about my current project, but every once in a while I'll get sick of working on it. I blame drumagog though, because even though its a really cool plugin, I'm having trouble getting it to trigger correctly on some tom tracks, which means I'm having to go into each tom track and adjust the levels of every tom hit in the song to where it triggers correctly but still sounds natural. Talk about time consuming and boring. I think I'm going to be depressed when I'm done with it though, because then I wont have something to work towards.

Oh wait- I'm having a moment of clarity... I think I'll make up a quote...

The day that I have no more goals set in my life will be the day I die.

I have had similar feelings as the original post. I have sold all my stuff and said I was done. I planned on going into other things and spending time with other details.

About a year later I hear a great song, well recorded, great harmony's, awsome mix.... etc.

I went and bought all new stuff and am back to doing what I love.

It never leaves your blood. So selling everything won't work.

You are so right sir. I am just getting back into recording after a four year hiatus.

Music in general and recording in particular never leaves you once you have done it. It's like a virus that may lay dormant for a time, but then here comes that same old urge.

I sold all of my stuff four years ago thinking I was finished. The time before that, back in the mid-'80's I did the same thing. I've been doing this on and off for the last 17 years. It never goes away.

You may as well learn to live with it. I used to get frustrated sometimes because I couldn't get the sound that I heard in my head onto the tape. Or I would get stuck for a hook or a line or a rhyme. But it all works out in the end for the most part. If it doesn't change your approach to the subject and try again.

I think that anyone that does this for a living or as a hobby is subject to burn-out.

It's always nice to know that you're never alone in this.

Artists are a crazy, messed-up breed of people - the best people around, I think.

I tell myself every day that I'll never sing a song again. Being a musician is like living the emotional roller coaster of your first love, every day of your life.

Back