Please help. My mix is driving me crazy!

Frusciante_Fan

Hi folks

I am working on a recording now that I did on a analoge four track. It is just vocals and classical guitar. I ran it through my soundcard and have had some great results in Cubase SX. My only problem is that when I edited it I was monitoring through headphones. I knew the headphones did not have the bass respones required for the song so I compensated for that ,, but when I listen to them on "normal" home stereo and computer speakers It sounds really bad.

When I listen through the AT monitoring headphones it has lots of low level detail , and it soundes very clear. But on speakers the detail is just gone, and the mids sound like there boosted.

Could someone please help me translate my mixes from headphones to actual speakers.

Frusciante_Fan said:
Could someone please help me translate my mixes from headphones to actual speakers.

Buy some speakers, Deep water will sell you a pair of some very decent speakers for 275+ shipping PM him.

Headphones are like being on drugs, they make everything sound/feel better

Frusciante_Fan said:
My only problem is that when I edited it I was monitoring through headphones. I knew the headphones did not have the bass respones required for the song so I compensated for that ,, but when I listen to them on "normal" home stereo and computer speakers It sounds really bad.
Thats the problem right there, you cant mix in headphones, you should use the monitors when mixing. Thats why the whole thing sounded like crap when you took off the headphones and listened to it.
Your better off just mixing with the monitors and only use the headphones for tracking or quiet listening pleasure. A good tight mix on monitors will/should translate well even on the sh!ttiest stereo system.

Hope this helps!

That was a good article Blue Bear! I briefly read it, so after this post I will read it in detail. I would like to revise what I originally said:
You can mix in headphones, it is possible (considering they are monitoring headphones) but....... The majority of people I have spoken to and/or heard saying (in other forums) is that using only headphones for mixing is somewhat unothodox. This also comes from my own experiences as well. It is a bit hard to get an accurate mix if you only use headphones. I use my monitors as my primary imaging/mixing tool. I will A/B the mixdown process, with monitors and use my headphones only as a mere reference point. If something sounds a bit off in the cans as opposed to the monitors I will then proceed to make subtle adjustments. Checking from both mixing angles in stereo and mono.

Also considering that Frusciante_Fan is having some trouble using cans is why I didnt recommend that method to him in the first place.

Back