Please help, monitor speaker possibly knackered

bendbones

Hi,

I have a 6-week old pair of BX5a m-audio monitors. Problem is every once in a while, the right monitor (both tweeter and woofer) cuts out but is accompanied by a sort of `quiet' but present rumbling sound that you can feel by lightly touching cone. Then, for days on end, there is no sound, like right now, I've had to monitor though a pair of shitty Behringer headphones coz I'd go mad trying to mix what I can't properly hear in just the one `working' monitor.

So before I do the inevitable and send it back to shop so they can send it back to factory for repairs (which is seriously going to piss me off, but what has to be done has to be done, I guess), do any of you know what the problem might be? Could I possibly fix it? I;d rather not do anything that would void the warranty.

Also, I've noticed that if you put your ear right up close to the cone, can hear some sound (from the mix), but its very, very quiet. This is an active monitor, and changing bass roll-off, mid boost, dials, swicthes etc, on back-panel doesn't do anything.

So, dodgy solder-joint somewhere perhaps? Anyone else ever had this problem with any monitor/other speaker-equipped piece of equipment?

Cheers everyone
Ben

Sounds like the amp went south on you. Could be a bad solder joint, but you should send it back if it's under warranty.

Back