Please critique my mix!

illacov

Its been quite a while since I put anything up on this board for review, at least 2 years I think, well I think I learned some new things since then and Im pretty sure I've improved my mixing skills

but anyway Id appreciate some input from Blue Bear and the other well known and educated on this website as well as everybody else.

Blue Bear especially since I was a young upstart dick head in the past when it came to learning the whole mixing process.

I mean jeez 2 years ago I would have looked at you stupid if you said "Parallel compression" but anyways heres the track

Its hip hop, the group is called The Goonies, song title is Grown Man Talk

Peace
Illumination

I listened to it several times. Pretty cool and you have a good groove going on with several intersting elements. Pretty solid. Here are some things I picked up on, in my opinion. Some of my opinions are production/performance issues, taste issues and mixing issues. I was listening on AKG 240 Studio headphones and they are pretty accurate for mixing:

1) You have a low intro guitar wang/distortion thing going on in the back ground before the rapping starts. I did not hear it anymore, or maybe it was just too low in the mix after the intro. It would be interesting to keep it going or have it come back in at spots and make it less subtle.

2) Overall, I think the stereo imaging could be improved. What I mean is, it seems to be a very centered mix. Your delay on the rim shots shooting to either side seems to be the only stereo thing that is very evident. And, when the rappers switch, it comes from the same spot. My opinion is that they should be spaced differently, like they are on different sides of the stage sorta.

3) The low end thump of the kick is distorted. Not sure what you are mixing on, but it seems that it is way too much low thump and the clipping is obvious.

4) The first rapper is smooth and full bodied. The second wrapper is a little thin and nasaly, but the effect works for a little while. He gets a little ackward in his rap between about 1:45-2:02 or so. Probably word choice issues and I think he has too many ackward pauses that drops the groove a little. Also, the vocal punch for his last line at 2:10 is pretty obvious.

Just my quick opinions, and I am definitely digging what you got going on. Thanks for posting it !!!

Sush

Back